A Cookie Massacre and a Killer Spider

"At least tell me what this is all about?", Samuel asked as both he and Cameron climbed the stairs to Cameron's room.

The younger man sighed, "I may or may not have nearly burnt the apartment down," his voice sounded embarrassed and nervous.

Samuel shook his head, watching the younger man unlock the door, "How would you do that? Come on now, don't you think you're exaggerating a little bit on your choice of words?"

"If only...", Cameron started biting on his already chapped lips.

It was only when the door was finally opened that Samuel realized that the man living upstairs wasn't joking and that he was genuinely serious. Accompanied by the little screech of the wooden door, the men were greeted by the strong and suffocating scent of smoke. Although there were no actual flames or signs of fire, it was clear that something was burnt.

"What did you do?", the protagonist inquired as he made his way into the foreign apartment after the other man invited him to.

"I tried making cookies," Cameron turned around, staring into the main character's eyes. "If I hear even the slightest chuckle, I'll-", he looked around. "I'll move out."

Samuel somewhat felt intimidated by the wide opened hazel eyes that stared directly into his soul. "Don't worry mate. Accidents happen," he looked at the shorter man.

"And quit glaring, this is creepy," he remarked as he gently pushed Cameron's face away, feeling the warmth of his face resonating on his palm. "So what exactly happened?"

"I put the unbaked cookies in the oven and forgot to take it out," Cameron gestured for Samuel to follow him into his kitchen, hesitating on his next words.

"And?", Samuel pressed on.

"The music in my headphones was overlapping the sound of the alarm, and I only got to realize my mistake when the smell reached the other room I was in," he mumbled.

"How can you be so unassertive and introverted yet so dumb?", Samuel shook his head as he leaned by the kitchen's door contemplating the scene before him.

The kitchen was small, just like his own. Even though the structure of the room was identical to Samuel's, they were both very different. The contrast of their rooms perfectly portrayed their mismatched personalities.

Instead of having tray cases of empty beer bottles under the rectangular table fixed in the right of the kitchen, Cameron had piles of unpacked boxes stuffed under there.

Compared to the nearly broken chairs that Samuel keeps whenever guests come over to eat, he had four sophisticated-looking bar stools.

But what made the biggest difference was the emptiness of the room. Even with the complete ignorance of how to cook properly, Samuel had actual ingredients, dishes and cooking books which were present everywhere, elements that were missing in the other man's cook-area.

One wouldn't even think of this room as an actual kitchen if it weren't for the stove and the oven, which was, if you haven't forgotten, emitting smoke.

"Listen to me. This isn't a matter to be taken lightly," Cameron muttered. "I called you here for help, not to get a lecture."

"Okay. So tell me what I'm supposed to do?", Samuel stepped forward.

Cameron bit his lips. "There's a huge spider resting on top of the oven. You have to take it-"

The other man cut his sentence, "Why me? Seriously why-"

"You said you were going to help."

"But not against a spider. Have you seen its size?"

"What do we do now?"

"We're in this together. Go get the raid."

Cameron came back from another room with an insecticide in his hand, only to come face to face with Samuel poking the arachnid with the end of a broom he found behind the fridge.

"Are you even a grown man?", Cameron squinted his eyes.

"Says the grown man himself," Samuel replied. "Why doesn't it die with smoke?"

"Spiders can't actually die from smoke," the younger man spoke.

"Damn those creatures," the hitman groaned, snatching the raid from Cameron's hands. "It's you and me now," he whispered.

He loomed over the spider, raid ready to be sprayed. The owner of the flat stayed where he was, arms crossed as he watched what was happening in his own kitchen. There was no movement. Samuel just stared at the insect.

"What if it jumps-", Cameron spoke.

"Shush," Samuel shook his head at his flatmate.

Neither of them realized that the smoke had eventually completely disappeared.

After seconds of stillness and exaggerated suspense, Samuel finally pressed the insecticide's trigger, the spider trying to get away, in vain. Both men watched as the arachnid's movement became sloppy and slow as it was drugged and slowly dying.

"You murderer," Samuel widened his eyes at the words he heard, turning his head to see Cameron sadly looking at the spider.

Oh, he meant at the spider.

"It had to be one of us," Samuel casually shrugged. "What now?"

"Now I have to try baking again," Cameron smiled. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it," Samuel chuckled, fascinated at the first smile he received that was directed at him. "Where are your stuff?", he started another conversation.

" How is thi-"

"I literally saved your life. Don't you dare tell me that this isn't any of my business," the older man glared at the other man.

Cameron sighed. "They arrived in the morning. But I don't have much."

Such short answers.

"Nice. What do you-"

"I have to clean the kitchen," Cameron blinked.

"Well aren't you a rude one." Samuel sighed, making his way to the exit alone. "See you later dude."

Man, I feel used.

He shook his head, taking out his phone.

"Maybe I should go get her now."

...

I literally wrote a chapter about two grown ass men against a spider :')
Anyways, feedback is always appreciated and if you think it deserves it, press the little star to vote, helps a lot.

RIP little spider.