The Cost of Friendship

"This is undeniably exciting but so scary at the same time," Olivia murmured as she glanced around, waiting for Cameron to successfully pick the locket of Matthew's front door.

The randomized yet perfectly patterned chirps of crickets echoed themselves into the murky and soundless twilight, whose silence was tainted by the clumsy attempts of the young assassin. He sighed, feeling his arms cramp up, "Remind me again, for what purpose did I follow you?"

Olive rolled her eyes, "I'm basically your only friend, so you best believe you're helping me no matter what-"

Her words were interrupted by the screech of the wooden door that swayed inside, the two characters now gawking at a dark hallway.

"Quite fast to be fair-", the woman found her dialogue obstructed once again.

"It was already opened," Cameron looked over his shoulder to see if they were still in the clear, which they were, before walking aimlessly into the house of his victim, followed closely by his 'best friend'.

The house had a moldy smell, like the back alleys of restaurants with decaying and moist food. The cold wind that followed the two uninvited guests cooled the rooms for a bit, since all the windows were closed. Olivia frowned, despite the hot atmosphere of this building, the lack of family warmth made it ice-cold to her heart; it was never her home.

"Did you know the walls are sound-proof?", she continued, tiptoeing behind Cameron, brushing her palm along the dry walls, "Might explain why the neighbors never heard anything."

The young man sighed, quietly shining every corner with his flashlight, occasionally scaring spiders back into their corners, "If he doesn't comply with your orders, I'm not holding back."

"Don't call my requests, orders," she replied, emphasizing on her correction while she checked her watch, two minutes away from three am, "We should go to his room already, he'll be back from the bar at any second now."

"Lead the way," Cameron stepped aside, his eyes following Olivia as she walked up the stairs, her silhouette looking more like a shadow because of her full black outfit, the wooden steps were creaking awkwardly, "No offense but your house is creepy as fuck."

Olivia chuckled, "I agree full-heartedly," she turned the knob to the already unlocked door of hers and her boyfriend's room, quietly making her way behind her bed.

The layout of the room was quite basic, and Cameron's eyes didn't take long to register the schema of the bedroom. His hazel eyes that reflected his flashlight's faint light turned to the right as soon as he stepped in, facing a wardrobe that rested to the right of the king bed's side, while a dresser was placed at the end of the bed. There were dark seaweed-colored curtains at the left of the bed, hinting at the bay window behind it.

"This room gives me chills," Olivia whispered taking a seat on the ground, her back leaning on the side rails of the bed, while she faced the curtains. She had already calculated that since her boyfriend would come home drunk, he wouldn't bother switching on the lights and will just flop on the bed, his intruders left unspotted.

"It isn't too late to refuse redemption and beat his ass, I am more than ready to fulfill that," Cameron took a seat beside her, "The most wanted hitman in town, and I'm here."

"Shit, I almost forgot about that," the woman abruptly turned her head to look at the assassin, in vain since they were drowned in darkness, "Say, you're not going to kill me right? It was yours and Sam's faults anyway," she started biting her lower lip, waiting for an answer.

"Might just be the stupidest hitmen out there," Cameron sighed, "You see, we do have to sign certain contracts in our organizations to guarantee our animosity and loyalty to them. Let's just say we trust you to keep that information," he chuckled, "You have the ability to get us killed with just a word. It's a two-way thing."

"A two-way thing?"

"We could kill you any second of the day, just like you could by a single word," the younger man replied.

"Nah, I like living, and I won't give you the satisfaction of killing me," the woman exhaled with a chuckle, "Am I the only one who knows?", she asked while checking her watch, an eerie feeling taking over her peace of mind.

"On my side, unprofessionally, yes. And I think Priscilla is aware of Sam," Cameron's breath hitched when he heard the downstairs front door creak open. His eyes were fixated on Olivia as they slowly slid their bodies down to avoid their heads peeking out. He tightened his grip around his Swiss Army Knife that he previously took out of his pocket.

Olivia took big slow breaths to calm her racing heart. They both had weapons and ropes attached into their belts loops, but those wouldn't guarantee their success.

They heard a loud thud in the downstairs hallway before grumbling as Matthew quickly yet sloppily made his way upstairs. The tension rose, seconds feeling like hours, waiting impatiently for their target to reach the room they were in.

And finally, he did.

The door creaked open, and Matthew did the one thing Olivia hoped he wouldn't.

He turned on the lights.

Cameron and Olivia were in the clear, their bodies out of sight, ready to jump out and attack Matthew at any second, until the assassin noticed something his colleague failed to;

"He's taking cautious steps, he-" Cameron inhaled, abruptly stopping his whispers when he counted the foot steps.

"They know we're here."