Planned and Unplanned

Samuel stood outside of the car waiting for his client to get out. He glanced at his attire, a black Italian suit, with a red tie, that he lightly stretched out with his finger.

"Oh, dear. I can read the discomfort on your face," Mrs.Annie spoke as she carefully got out of the vehicle. She wore a pale sky blue wrap dress with an aegean ribbon enveloped around her waist forming a small bow tie on her left side. Her mask matched with her purse, both of the same color, which was denim blue, sparkled with glitter and some fake diamonds here and there. Her blond hair was tied into an elegant bun, while the upper half of her face was hidden, her piercing grey eyes were peeking through the mask.

"I normally don't wear those," the hitman pointed at his tie.

"There's a reason why I asked you to wear this. A red tie implies business. It coveys dominance, strength, and authority," his client started to walk towards the entrance, her high heels click-clacking as she seductively stood beside the man. "I hope you know that failure isn't even an option."

"Of course ma'am," Samuel held out his arm, accompanying Mrs.Annie inside the Johnson's mansion.

As expected, it was impossible to spot someone with simple clothing. The hall was filled with sophisticated-looking men with classic costumes, while the women, dressed to impress, and the best way to do that was to display their pieces of jewelry.

The room was decorated very lightly since it was already futuristically designed. The large chandeliers were hanging on the ceiling, their golden color matching perfectly with the candles displayed everywhere around. The ambiance didn't look or feel like business people negotiating but it rather gave off the feeling of being invited to a traditional masquerade ball.

Samuel examined the area. While he glanced in each and every corner, his eyes fell on the man.

Brutus.

Dark hair, light brown eyes, trimmed beard, this was his target. The assassin wouldn't have spotted the man if it weren't for the photos and detailed information he received a day earlier, and the trait that gave it away was the scar of the man's lower lip, not hidden by his mask.

"Don't screw this up," Annie nudged the man she hired.

Samuel didn't pay attention to the woman and instead watched his future victim's actions. He seemed to gather around women a lot, he drank only wine and didn't seem interested in eating, but the thing our main character was more intrigued about was the young woman following Brutus around.

Her black hair was tied in a low bun and she wore a grey outfit that almost looked like a boho dress. It had baggy and long sleeves, a bateau neckline, while the length reached to an evening-length, just above her ankles. Her mask was black, covering the upper half of her face. Compared to the other ladies, it didn't have either glitter or fake diamonds on it, but the particularity of hers was that it had cat ears and a small hat on the right side. The holes designed for the eyes had stitches on them, giving the impression that they were sewed together.

Her height seemed oddly familiar.

The woman turned to look at Samuel who was on the other side of the room when her purple eyes landed on Annie. She whispered something in Brutus's ear then walked towards the two.

Perfect. Now, wait for an opening.

The protagonist was already planning his next move but he then realized that his client was slowly walking away with the unknown woman. "Ma'am?"

"Oh, I'm fine. I'm just going to have a talk with this damsel here," she gestured her eyes at Brutus to which Samuel slightly nodded and almost immediately walked towards him.

The man had already drunk six glasses of wine and wasn't even tipsy. His glass was looking nearly empty so Samuel took one of the full ones. To his convenience, the buffet was placed in front of an open view window. Feigning the fact that he was looking outside, he took the little bottle and poured the poison into the wine. Slowly turning around, he took another drink for himself.

"Refill?", the hitman offered his murder weapon to his victim.

"Oh, good sir. Thank you. You've spared me the trouble," Brutus gladly accepted. "May I know your name?"

"Aaron Gomez," Samuel nodded, as he watched the other man swallow the entire liquor in one go.

Botulinum toxin is water-soluble and tasteless, making it easier to blend into other things without a problem.

It also takes effect almost immediately.

Brutus stumbled. "Sir?"

"I think the alcohol is starting to get to me," he chuckled.

"Allow me to accompany you to the restroom," the assassin wrapped an arm around the man's shoulder to prevent him from falling.

He clutched at his chest, wiping away the sweat from his forehead. "It's hot out there, isn't it?"

"It may be because of the crowd," Samuel glanced at himself in the mirror.

Hurry up and die already.

Sam watched as the man started to breathe faster. It was clear that he had respiratory difficulties but he still managed to keep his calm.

That was only for a short moment though.

After some thirty seconds, the man fell on his knees, wheezing and panting heavily. "Congratulation dude. Your baby will be born without a father," Samuel shook his head.

"I knew Annie was planning something," Brutus spoke through his teeth. "Too bad neither of you will be paid."

"You talk too much for someone who's dying," the hitman spoke as his victim slowly closed his eyes, the anger on his face not leaving him until the moment he took his last breath.

He carefully dragged the corpse to a stall and left the crime scene. While he closed the door, his shoulder brushed against someone else's. Glancing at the person, he realized it was the woman from earlier. "Where is Mrs. Annie?"

She simply shrugged and continued to walk, but Samuel could feel like something was wrong, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

"Help!", he nearly jumped when he heard a woman's scream coming from the female's bathroom. He hastily walked towards the cry of help, the woman was a maid and she seemed to be shaken, almost breaking into tears. Words couldn't come out of her mouth and she just pointed at a stall.

Our main character widened his eyes when he saw his client, dead, sitting on a closed toilet seat, her lifeless eye wide opened. Her wrists were cut open, fresh blood pouring out of them.

But the thing that shocked him more was the 'V' carved on her arm.