Chapter 9

The cast list was posted immediately after auditions and to Nini's surprise she actually received the lead role of Gabriella and Ricky received the lead role of Troy.

It was an unexpected turn of events between them because Nini was always the one casted as a tree in the back so it was a big leap for her to go from a tree to the lead role.

It was a turn of events for Ricky because he'd never even done a musical before so to come right in and get the lead was shocking to him.

As soon as Ms.Jen saw the way they locked eyes she knew that she was her Gabriella and he was her Troy. That chemistry would radiate off the stage.

"I got it. I got Gabriella!" Nini squealed and Ricky smiled picking her up spinning her around. He was honestly excited that he got the lead too.

When Ricky set Nini back on the ground everyone was looking at them and Nini fake cleared her throat.

"The excitement got to me a little too much" she said

•••

"Dude you like her. You really like her" Ej said to Ricky

"You're insane. No I don't"

"Yeah you do. I can tell"

"I don't like her" Ricky chucked "I like $80 though" Ricky said referring to the bet

"Come on Ricky. Just admit it. You like Nini" Ej said and Nini was approaching so she was now able to hear their conversation. They didn't know that though.

"Ej you know I don't catch feelings" Ricky laughed "Nini is just a challenge. I wanted to see if I could get her and it's like she's in the palm of my hand. I just have to figure out how to make her go all in for me. This whole "caring guy" front I'm putting on is all so she can fall for me"

"That's cold dude"

"Ej this is nothing new. I have no intentions of getting caught up with any girl and everybody knows that"

Nini heard and it was like her heart broke. Ricky seemed so genuine. Like he was actually changing and had feelings for her but after what she heard she knew she was sadly mistaken.

A tear feel down her cheek and she quickly wiped it away heading back to class.

"Is it really that serious over a bet though Ricky? Everybody knows you're a player but manipulating a girl into falling for you? You don't think that's at least a little bit messed up? Especially Nini. She's never done anything bad to anybody" Ej said and Ricky just shrugged

He knew deep down that what he was doing was wrong but he'd never admit that. He had a point to prove and he wasn't gonna let anything or anybody get in the way of that.

•••

"Nini honey do you want some—" Cece entered Nini's room noticing she was crying. "Honey what's wrong? Why are you crying"

Nini wiped her tears away "oh it's uh nothing" Nini knew that she couldn't tell her mom the truth. She knew that she should've never gotten involved with Ricky.

"Honey I'm here for you. What's wrong"

"It's nothing mom. I'm just upset because I think I did bad on my math test today" Nini lied. She aced that math test and she knew she did. She wanted nothing more than to cry in her mom's arms about Ricky but she couldn't because of the simple fact that her mom wouldn't comfort her.

She'd just go over how she knew Ricky was a bad guy and getting involved with him was a mistake. Nothing Nini didn't already know.

"You'll get it next time sweetie. I know you will" she smiled and Nini smiled and nodded.

"Thanks mom" Nini said and hugged Cece before she left the room.

Nini turned on her phone seeing numbers of texts and calls from Ricky. She was ignoring them but it was really hard. Ignorance was bliss in this situation.

How am I supposed to play in the musical with him? Nini thought. Troy and Gabriella are supposed to really like each other but at the moment Nini carried so much hate for Ricky.

"She's just a challenge" repeated on and on in her head. That's all he thought of her. She risked her reputation for him and he didn't even care.

She gave him her first kiss. Even though he didn't know that it was her first it was still a big deal to her.

Nini held onto her pillow as tears continued to fall from her eyes. She wondered if it'd hurt less if she hadn't already developed so many feelings for him.

If he wasn't so charming, cute, and his curls weren't so soft.

Nini's phone started ringing and she assumed it was Ricky but when she looked at the caller ID it was Ashlyn so she picked up the phone

"Hey bestie" Ashlyn said excitedly through the phone. "Or should I call you Gabriella?"

"Hey Ash" Nini sniffled and Ashlyns face fell knowing her best friend was crying

"What's wrong Neens"

"It's nothing. Promise" she said and Ashlyn knew she was crying. Nini has different types of cries. The I'm hurting cry, the I'm just sad cry, the I'm happy cry, and the sad side of tik tok cry.

This was definitely the I'm hurting cry but Nini obviously wasn't ready to talk about it yet so Ashlyn left it alone.

"Neens I can call you back later if you want"

"No no no. Let's talk about something fun, I can use a mood booster" Nini chuckled

"Well Ms.Jen asked me to write a song for the musical and I'm about halfway through"

"Already?"

"Yeah. I shocked myself. I came home from school and I sat at my piano and just wrote"

"We'll do I get to hear it?"

"You have to wait until rehearsal. I'm really happy with how it's turning out though. I'm excited"

"That's great Ash I'm so excited for you!"

A/N
Ricky is an idiot 🙎‍♀️ I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter and tysm for reading! Vote and comment please!