Chapter 21

Nini got up to open the door looking through the peep whole first to make sure it was actually someone she knew.

"Nate?" She whispered to herself. Nini and Nate would talk occasionally but never anything serious. She had no idea why he could be standing at her front door.

"Hi Nate" Nini said after she opened the door

"Hey Nini" Nate smiled "can we-can we uh talk?" He asked and Nini looked back at her friends almost asking them if she should go or not

They all smiled and told her to go and she nodded stepping outside with Nate. Nini had never been in a relationship or even talked to a boy. That they knew of.  Well, everybody except Ashlyn. They only knew that she had her first kiss but were still clueless of who it was with.

They wanted her to experience at least a piece of that in high school. Nini was super uptight and only focused on school work. They wanted so badly to see her let loose and have fun for once.

"Well I don't know exactly how to phrase this" Nate said nervously

"I don't bite, I promise" Nini joked and Nate laughed kinda loosening up a bit

"I think you're really pretty and smart. I know we haven't talked much. I've been trying to work up the courage to ask you this. I don't know what got into me today that made me ask but here I am standing in front of you" Nate chuckled a bit "What I wanted to ask is, will you go to the under the stars dance with me? I completely understand if you don't want to" he asked finally getting everything he had to say out.

The under the stars dance was supposed to take place weeks ago but got postponed due to some construction in the gym. Now that the gym was back up and running, that dance was supposed to be on Friday.

"Nate I-"

"You know what? I don't know why I'm here. Nevermind it's fine" he said starting to turn around

"Nate wait" Nini chuckled a little bit "first I wanna say thank you for calling me pretty and smart, I really appreciate it. And second, let me talk to my friends. I know we were supposed to go together and I'm not sure how they'd feel about me ditching them. Can I get back to you?"

"Yes, yeah of course. Thanks Nini" he smiled before leaving and Nini took a breath. She needed to talk it over with Ricky. She didn't know how he'd feel about her going to the dance with someone else but she couldn't tell Nate that.

"Sooo what'd he want?" Kourt asked as Nini sat back down

"Oh he just wanted the answers to the biology homework"

"Lie again" Gina quickly said "why would he come all the way over here just to ask for homework answers? What did he really want?"

"Fine, he asked me to the dance" Nini gave in telling them what Nate actually wanted

"And what'd you say?" Ashlyn asked now intrigued

"I told him I'd get back to him"

"Why? Nate is mad cute and he seems super sweet" Gina said

"I just-I'm not sure if I really want to go with anybody. I was really looking forward to going with you guys"

"Nini, we will be fine. Go to the dance with Nate" Kourtney encouraged

"I'll think about it." Was all Nini said before changing the conversation "I think the cookies should be done now"

•••

Ricky and Nini were back in their favorite position, cuddling in Nini's bed. Their fingers were locked and they were just enjoying being in each other's presence.