Chapter 32

Nini laid in her bed trying any and everything to get her mind off of what it kept wandering to.

Him

All the times he made her feel like the only girl on the planet, the times he made her smile, the times he showed her that he was more than just the bad boy.

They were all fake. They were all steps he had to take to win the bet.

Nini decided not to go to school that morning due to the fact that she just couldn't face Ricky. Not now. It was too painful for her.

She could barely move from that one spot in her bed that she'd been in for hours now. Snuggled under the covers allowing each tear that fell hit her pillow.

Her parents had to go on another business trip but this wouldn't be nearly as long as the last. They were set to come back early the next morning so Nini knew she'd have to go to school the next day.

Nini clicked on Twitter watching the numbers of the video she posted views go up. There was an overwhelming amount of likes, retweets, and comments and Nini could barely keep up with all of them.

She never thought that one of the songs that she wrote would get this type of attention. She thought it'd get 50 views at most, so when she said it had over a million she couldn't believe her eyes.

Despite all this attention she was getting she still felt like something was missing. Ricky.

During the time they were together he'd always tell her how amazing she is and his she needs to put herself out there.

Maybe that was the only thing he told her that wasn't a lie. Or maybe it was and her blowing up was just a coincidence. She didn't know what to trust anymore.

•••

"Hey Gina wait up!" Ricky said attempting to catch-up with Gina. He'd been looking for any one of Nini's friends all day but couldn't find them. It wasn't until now that he spotted Gina.

Gina stopped in her tracks rolling her eyes. She didn't exactly know the full story but she knew enough to know that Ricky was a jerk.

"What do you want Bowen?" Gina crossed her arms

"Have you seen Nini? I really want to talk to her" Ricky said with hopeful eyes that Gina took note of but decided to ignore. She couldn't have any remorse for him. Not now.

"She didn't come to school today. She can barely leave the bed because you broke her heart" Gina said in a sad tone. All she wanted was for her friend to be okay.

At hearing this Ricky's face fell. He didn't know he had hurt her that much. He truly didn't mean to. He has forgotten all about the bet once he himself started to develop feelings for Nini.

"What?? Nini never misses school. Even when she broke her ankle in PE, she waited until the school day was over to go to the hospital because she didn't want to get marked tardy for last period"

"Heartbreak and Ankle breaks are two different types of pain. She's really hurt Ricky"

"Gina. You gotta believe me, this is all just a huge misunderstanding."

"It might be Ricky but Nini is really hurt. She's still trying to manage everything that's happened, and she's really struggling."

"Do you think she'd see me? I just need to talk to her" Ricky said in a pleading tone. He didn't care if this was ruining his bad boy image. He cared that he had Nini. He cared that Nini was okay.

"I don't think so Ricky. Not this soon anyway. I mean if I was in her position I wouldn't want to see you this soon either"

"But what about the play? We're supposed to be troy and Gabriella. And the project Mazzara gave us. We have to sing a song about love. How are we supposed to act and sing about love when she hates me?"