Chapter 16: Our way forward. (Part 1)

"What happened!?" Servius screamed in shock as he and some other villages stared at the aftermath of last night. He gripped me by the shirt and shook me, "Rain explain yourself right now!" It was rare to see him so angry. The last time it had happened was five years ago when I had put crickets in his shoes as a prank.

"Settle down," I said slowly. "Now I know it looks bad but it could have been a lot worse."

"And who are they?" he shook me again as he pointed to Marley and Lara. "How did they even get here? First Taylor and now these two as well? Just what have you been doing lately?" He was getting a little off point.

"Once your father wakes up I'll explain," I released his grip on me.

As if on cue Servius' father grumbled towards us with bleary eyes, "I'm here so get to it. This better be good. You are a friend and guest of Kerchest but I'm beginning to remember you were also quiet the active child."

I nodded and became serious, "It would be better if we talked somewhere more private." I gestured to Ardent and the others and together we followed Servius and his father into the village hall. The belongings of the Imperium members were still piled in the corner. Ardent had gone through them and apart from some stranger equipment it was mostly harmless.

I led the explanation and introduced Marley and Lara while Ardent inputted his own knowledge about the Imperium. Of course I held some things back about the previous cycles but based on their knowledge I expressed what could have happened. It took quite some time to get through everything and by the end it was already late morning.

"I see...," Servius' father nodded sombrely. "To think we were in such danger. Had you not drugged us to sleep we might have been forced to fight one another. Still, I would have preferred if you warned me beforehand."

"I wasn't entirely sure what would happen," I lied. "In the case I was wrong I didn't want everyone to make a fuss."

He faced Lara, "And you with the white hair, Lara was it? You have my thanks."

Lara flushed, "No it wasn't just me. I really only came in at the end. It was Ardent, Taylor and Rain who did all the work."

Ardent shook his head, "It shames me to say but I could not defeat that abomination alone. Had you not come, we and the village would have perished. I still have much to learn."

I sighed, "Yep without you we'd probably all be dead." So much for my plan to not involve Lara, in the end I was pretty much useless.

"Kerchest owes you all a great debt," Servius' father bowed deeply. His head almost touching the table we sat at. "If there is anything we can do for you, say and we shall do our best to grant it."

I could tell Lara was going to refuse him but I cut in before she could speak, "Thank you it means a lot to us, but before that, we should probably help you fix up the village."

"That would be most appreciated," he laughed.

We ended our meeting and Servius' father told an abridged story of what happened to the villagers waiting anxiously outside. They thanked us more than I would have liked. The Imperium only found Kerchest by chance when they left Axel and more so they probably wouldn't have stumbled upon the village if we weren't here. In a way it was my fault this all happened and if any of them had died because of it.... I was just thankful it hadn't come to that. It was rare enough that something like this could come to such a peaceful end.

Unlike Ardent, Taylor and I, Lara and Marley weren't wearing any disguises but it didn't stop the villagers from fawning over them. Even as we worked to repair the broken and torn up earth, they continued to move towards them, Lara especially. It had been a while since I had seen her and there really was something about her that pulled your attention. It wasn't just her pretty face or white hair but a more special charisma I couldn't put a finger on.

A pain rapped through my head. I turned around angrily, "Hey."

Taylor stood with a displeased expression her hand poised to strike again, "Less gawking and more working. It's because of you I was thrown through that window. The least you could do is help."

I rubbed my head, "What's up with you? If you want my help just say so."

She huffed, "Look I get it. She's attractive in a lot of ways. If I could have a go with her I'd take the chance in a heartbeat but we have things to do."

"I got the point earlier," I frowned. "You didn't have to say it like that."

"Don't worry I'd have a go with you anytime as well," she winked seductively and purposefully blew into my ear. I jumped back as my heart thumped. I had forced myself to forget with all the other things that came up but the memory of two nights prior was still bare in my mind. The image of her lying next to me as I opened my eyes. Her head and bare skin poking from the blankets. Come to think of it, was she even wearing anything beneath it? My imagination was beginning to run wild.

I broke eye contact with her, "Ah, it looks like Servius needs my help over there."

"Um sure," Taylor looked at me confused as I left. The usual me would have just brushed her off.

Servius didn't really need my help and instead I was left to ponder at the edge of the village centre. Most of what needed fixing could be done by having Ardent till the earth back into shape with magic. The villagers however were having fun and coming up with things for him to do while they were at it. Trees that needed to be cut down, garden beds that would take too long to make themselves. Ardent however was completely drawn in as they cheered and flattered him calling him 'Master Wizard'. He was surprisingly susceptible to cheap words, something that I could save for later.