Chapter 16: Our way forward. (Part 4)

"Umm Rain?" the voice whispered into my ear as if afraid to wake me.

"Yeah?" I turned over tiredly and came face to face with Lara. Thankfully my mind was still half asleep and didn't quite process her being so close. Her head was peeking over the side of the carriage and right above mine.

"What are you doing here?" she asked innocently.

"I 'was' sleeping," I said. "What are 'you' doing here?"

"I was just going for a walk and noticed something weird on top the carriage."

"Sorry for being weird," I yawned and pushed myself up. As I did so, Lara backed away.

"No I didn't mean it like that," she said a little panicked. "You're not weird... at least mostly. I mean you're fine. Yeah just fine." I'll choose to ignore that one.

Judging from the light and the sun's position it was still the early morning. I packed away my bedding and cleaned myself up. The entire time Lara stood silently nearby.

"Did you need something?" I asked as I finished.

"No," she laughed.

"Okay then...." I admit I was a little confused. "Did Ronalt want to hold another meeting?"

She shook her head, "No. He left quite early but I'm not sure where."

"Hmmm." I made my choice, "I think I'll go talk with him for a bit."

"Please do," she smiled. "I know Ronalt and you didn't quite get along but he's a good guy."

"I know he is," I returned the smile reassuringly.

Lara didn't follow me and after walking for a few minutes I easily found Ronalt near the centre of Axel. The children were giggling happily as they clung on to his muscular arms. He swung them around and roared playfully. The way he looked without his armour wasn't much different from the other adults of Axel, though he was ripped.

"Again, again!" one of the smaller boys screamed in delight.

"Okay, ready?" Ronalt picked him up.

"Yep!" he nodded.

"Go!" he threw him straight into the sky. My eyes widened in shock. The child's name was Peters. He was enthusiastic and dreamt of being an adventurer discovering new worlds. He passed the roofs around him. At this rate he'd never achieve his dream. Of course as he came down Ronalt caught him with perfect ease.

"Again!" Peters yelled.

"And I'll stop you there," I quickly walked in.

"Oh Rain," Ronalt put Peters down looking at me guiltily. "I was just playing with the children."

"I could see that," I shook my head disapprovingly and looked at the children. "Don't you all have morning lessons to go to?" They giggled letting go of Ronalt and ran off. I turned back to Ronalt, "So care to explain yourself?"

"My apologies Rain, I got carried away," he bowed his head. He was being so serious that it was hard to keep teasing him.

"It's fine, just keep it in moderation," I smiled. "Though you're much better with children than I thought you'd be."

"Yes... they tend to be intimidated on my arrival. The children here however greeted me quite openly."

"That's because they're all a bit odd." Really it was their parents. "Would you like me to show you around?"