13.2 - Tick

Vera's POV

.

I was nine years old when I was first introduced into the courtesies of love, in pursuit to comprehend mates.

Their purpose intrigued me so greatly that when I had breeched the age of fourteen, did I come to learn they weren't just this impairment that needed to be studied, or taken into deep memoir...but instead they were almost naturally impossible.

The first story I remember reading was called 'Sleeping Beauty' and I was told the two lovers casted, were indeed soulmates.

I swear to you on all things heavenly, I couldn't overthrow the image of Prince Philip being the first thing Aurora breathed, and the first thing she fixated her eyes upon after withdrawing from the void of a sleeping curse. I could only imagine what she was dreaming of on repeat before breathing again for the first time upon seeing this male.

So much need they'd shared. So much passion that felt to be undying that did yet to cease. I didn't have to picture the burning want because I felt that...

I felt it damn near every day of my life.

I tried to plaster a brave face, I really did because I was so sick of crying. I'd probably looked a mess and immensely ill. I mean anyone should understand that. I was asleep for four days all because... fuck that, I was tired of thinking about the one predicament that easily got me into this mess. "We need to find Alexander and tell him about his brother." I said this so sure of myself. I felt like time was rushing out and had intentions of abandoning me.

I didn't know what to say and if I did, I didn't know where to start. My thought process was slowly registering what was going on, I felt alerted and on the high end of a ledge. Darkness would soon consume me if only I allowed it.

I cocked my eyebrows at her, at Heidi, as she began walking away, leaving me in front of the manor without the answers that I sought. Becoming pissed? I was more than that, I was furious. "Where the hell do you think you're going?" My voice was calm but my patience was thinning.

It was almost as if she walked with her feet barley touching the marbled floors so gracefully, until she reached the stairs she finally turned to me. My hands fidgeted at both my sides before I would plead for her not to move. She wouldn't.

Damnit, she did!

Before I could blink again Heidi sprinted into a fast jog up the stairs until it quickly became a full on run. Her hair was swinging behind her backside with each and every chastising turn she made. Was she going to go find my mate? There was an uprising right around the corner, and The Princess was acting unusual. Still without reasoning I remained sharp on Heidi's tail up the stairs, gaining distraught— I could still hear the panting sounds I made out of fatigue, like a freaking lap dog.