22. Twilight

.

With so much of my patience waning, love had been consumed by flames and eternal hell fire, while my newly found objective was to make the alpha bend mercilessly against my will.

Malignity was in the air and I would not allow it to cloud my judgment as it did torch my lungs, and chain my mindfulness to greed and callousness.

"If I keep you, you'll be my demise."

What did the alpha mean?

It didn't matter then and it still doesn't.

I know now that the only way I'll survive is if  I stop loving him. But I make this notion as if it were truly that easy when just thinking about it, is enough to send my nerves into overdrive, while my heart plummeted to a never-ending deceptive medium.

Catching my breath with intentions of confessing my new agenda; to stop loving my soulmate, in the blink of an eye, the bat of an eyelash, Alexander had disappeared from the clutches of my integrity leaving behind only the allusion of a scent to prove that he truly had been there at all.

He was no longer cradling my thigh with one hand as his knuckles skimmed the hinge of my jaw with the other. I couldn't taste the hummus, moist secrete he leaked from his being's pores. Wherefore leaving me flustered, alone with only my collective thoughts that had taken the shape of a ribbiting truce, his face, and everything he claimed to be.

I was a beast now. A mongrel that could feel everything to a crest with an entirety, and now I wish

I hadn't.

If only it could be so simple to turn my emotions off, forget about who he was and what he was to me. He's supposed to be my forever, my ultimate climax.

I took a deep sigh within before I left the imperial room that mingled with the aroma of old blood, sweat, and now my tears of condemned frustration.

I searched for Heidi throughout the manor going wherever my feet casted me until I made my way into the lobby where people I've never met before were running around, dropping things such as dish platters and clothes out of angst to which they moved hastily to grab and kept their strides forward. I observed the men and women around me, in hopes for a familiar face until I felt the grab at my shoulder, a rough hand tugging me around sharply on the balls of my feet.

Without a word muttered, instantly I pushed his hand away not liking how close he was out of shock, a little of distaste because I knew how he secretly felt about me. "Vera." He nodded in the action of greeting me but I only stared until finally, I brushed the discomfort away with the finding of my voice, "Hector." I retorted in the same whimsical way he had. I pointed at all the people who raced up flights of stairs and cleaned as much as they could. "What's all this?" I reluctantly asked.

Hector tousled his blonde locks that resided at the top of his head out of nervousness before he scratched his neck, taking more steps toward me. I barely noticed his beard had been clean-shaven while he sported a button-down tee with a brown jacket to match. "Just follow me and I'll explain everything as much as I possibly can."

Despite hearing the sincerity in his voice I hesitantly debated if I should go with him after being a bit shaken up until I walked at his side, mimicking the way he paced because Hector always had this bold jolt to his movement like he ran the place.

I haven't seen Hector or Mavis in a long time, considering they were mates it would make sense that they had vanished on me — together. Probably eloping, having sex in all the ways they knew would strengthen their bond. Something I so desperately wanted to indulge in if it wasn't for that grim of a prince who neglected me. Or maybe that was the bond's fault. Or the sudden stamina that held hands with adrenaline that coursed through my bones.