11. Swine

.~.

To feel a bounded soul is all Alexander ever wanted. That... and to be King.

His chest shook softly as he contemplated.

The alpha's eyes constantly switched between it's poised void which resembled a seldom load of fear, to a more outraged abundance. He wondered could joy ever be the true villain that would riot; daring to create chaos if he explored it too much, or accepting responsibilities and not being able to live was the simple reprimanded twin.

Few curses and grumbles escaped his tight lip that fought back the beast's fleeting, sharp indentures. It was a constant battle between the two opponents, the right to shed skin. How so desperately Alexander wanted to melt into his fur side but debated against it. For heaven's sake.

Alexander steadily strained, to remain in human form. He had to. For his mate, and for his pack. At a time so vain, the alpha could not lose control, not for a minute, not even for a second.

Then the prince's thoughts returned to his lover. So petite, so fragile and beautiful. Truly, Vera was enchanting to all she graces with her presence. To everyone around, he himself was holy and so righteous. A man should be fluently placed in the eyes of who he rules, so who was he stand in front of those people who believe in him... with a human girl.

And it maddened the prince to no avail, in fact it drove him crazy.

Constantly his beta Hector, who was a man of many liberations, over centralized himself in training and being the spitting image of—followed expectations. His beta who now taunted his ears with fears of protocol and procedures.

According to Hector, Prince Alexander received everything he ever wanted; respectfully. So what was the use of this, woman? What was the necessity of any woman?

Alexander had the answer.

As an eligible elected prince to the throne, he simply could not stake his claim, let alone approach the title without a female counterpart. The king of alphas was a role, Alexander desired to his core. Without a companion, at least a face to represent his courtship to the throne, his pursuit was useless.

A pursuit unmet. A luxury Alexander's father, the current king of alphas, would not allow.

.~.

If only Alexander could memorize the rhythm his heart mimicked, so that it could be televised into a sentence of how he truly felt for the young woman.

He wondered was it natural to want to get rid of someone only to hide them inside of your own crevices of skin, shielding them away from all of existence.

Alexander felt her before she came into vision.

Evident hurt coiled into a synchronized pattern across her face and yet she stood unmoving. How had she done it? Better yet, why did she hide the butterflies that overwhelmed in her belly when they were only a few feet apart? The lycan only could wonder.

If only the right words could come to mind and yet there were none to spew. Entirely nothing he could say. His throat turned into sand paper, his bruised eye aches like hell but his only focus was on her injuries. Vera sported a thick bandage around her knee that hid a bruise, collecting all of the drenching blood that flowed from her damned skin.