24. Relief

I would burn this paper
With just one word on it,
You.

.

Love was extravagant.

Love was a bitter thing and hell— it was mean to me.

It was subjecting me to this monstrosity I wasn't accustomed to but I've known it all my life and, it angled my bones in a way I was beckoned to submission that seemed so natural and articulate. Fighting the mate bond murmured fruitful promises to me of superiority, but I relied on it. I relied on...

Him.

Soon as we all entered his beloved home, Alexander had taken maybe eight long strides until suddenly he was placing me down in the closest chair. I take the passing time to brush my hair away from my face when I noticed four set of eyes staring at me with this look on their faces that screamed, impossible.

Looking around at their demanding yet curious gazes, quickly I sat up right before crossing my arms across my remaining integrity. While I heard a sigh escaping Alexander's chest, soon a developing heat enveloped, tightening around my heart strings once I saw him reaching towards me with outstretched fingers, "You missed this." Bristling a loose strand away that was dancing in front of my eyelash.

I scanned the room taking in the sight of Clarity who rocked impatiently from side to side, Mavis who stood beside Hector and with bundles of overzealous cradling my nerves, I was blushing instantly after I'm looking down at my hands in my lap.

Sharply did someone begin clearing their throat, while the menacing pressure of tension swam inside the huge room we were in. Silently, I thanked my mate — a little at lost for words but I deemed it necessary to stay quite.

Mavis sat down on the couch in front of my chair, her knee skimmed mine as she became flaccid; slumping her back against her seat while Alexander still hovered over me but this time his attention was elsewhere.

I heard Hector moving around from behind me but didn't mind it. Suddenly all else was blurred out once I heard the sound of Clarity's voice that somehow infuriated me more than it should have to the point it made my skin itch.

"Where should I start?" Clarity's voice rung with so much enthusiasm, and yet a smile never etched beyond her tight pink lips. "Or should you start perhaps, Alexander?" This time she spat almost in a scolding manner.

"What have you done to that-" She continued with each word just as threatening as the last, her chest puffed outward as she stepped closer towards me and Alexander who still hid herself on the other side of his body, ticked with chasm, "That thing, that mere animal who had the nerve to step to me."

"Step to me in front of my peers, my people. As if she really had a chance at slaying a royal. She deserves penitentiary. To die-"

"You have said enough." Alexander doesn't wast another second as his fist are now balling at his hips. He stood more poised, more infinite that he was unmoving. Almost rooted into his position.

.

Before I could even blink, Clarity had shoved Alexander's shoulder, momentarily taking him by surprise that I almost hadn't registered the mere action, neither had my mate. She tried to step closer when Alexander refused her advance by tugging her by the shoulder securely. "I seen that," She hissed. "Did you see that?" She frustratedly pushed Alexander backward again.