Chapter 10: Infiltrated

Watchtower; August 8th, 20:00 EDT:

3rd POV:

Recognize: Kitsu 21

Kitsu stepped out of the Zeta beam with a small bento in her hand as she sighed in exhaustion. Her patrol in Tokyo had been an eventful night. There was a turf war that involved two big local rival gangs that involved quite a bit of civilian.

She was forced to reveal her presence in order to handle the situation. She was able to stop the turf war and there were zero casualties other than some injuries. It pained her to not be able to heal the innocent civilians who got caught in the crossfire. But with more and more people becoming aware of her existence, it was getting harder to stay hidden.

The increased awareness of her existence to the public has become concerning. She didn't want the public spotlight. More and more people are becoming curious about her. Every time she would walk amongst the public (in her civies), there was always some sort of news coverage about her. Who was he? A new hero? Tokyo's guardian angel. Another gang took down by the mysterious hero.

People started giving her names like The Shadow or Orange Spirit. It kinda made her somewhat flattered about the praise she would get from the public and media outlets, but it still didn't change the fact that she couldn't really hide her presence for much longer.

She made her way to the infirmary and opened the doors to find it empty. She sets the bento on her desk before she does her routine check of the inventory. Then she proceeded to go on the holoscreen and complete some paperwork she needed to fill out. She was a bit backed up after the previous mission.

Kitsu had passed out for only a day (thankfully) and was lectured by Batman, Green Arrow, and Black Canary for going overboard with work again. So she was forced to take a full day off. But now she had to complete some medical files and a mission briefing file as well. She had finished the mission briefing file the day before, now all she had to do was finish her medical files.

She was two-thirds of the way through her work when her stomach grumbled with hunger. Looking at the clock, it was nearly midnight. Guess it's a good time to take a break, she thought.

Grabbing the bento box, she sets down earlier and opens it to reveal a platter of the tri-colored dango. Her mouth already salivating at the sight of the delicious snacks, she grabs a skewer and takes a bite of the soft and chewy texture of the food. She takes another bite of the colorful soft mochi ball when someone enters the room.

"Hey, Kits-" Oliver starts to say when he sees Kitsu holding a stick of dango with both of her cheeks puffed up from the food as she freezes in mid-bite, looking like a chipmunk.

"Ollie why aren't you-" Dinah starts to say as she comes into the doorframe, spotting Kitsu in her current state.

Both Dinah and Ollie had to cover their mouths with their hands to stop themselves from laughing at the state of Kitsu's expression. They finally broke out into laughter as Kitsu began to slowly continue chewing at the awkward situation.

"Mwat?" She tries to say with her mouth still full in the smallest voice. Not sure to feel embarrassed or mad.

'That's so adorable,' the two blonds thought as they continued to laugh. The emotionless kid who looked so cute when she ate seemed so far-fetched in their eyes as they rarely got to see any sort of childishness from her. 

They finally calmed down enough to speak. "It's nothing. Sometimes, we forget that you're human too," Dinah responded as she wiped away a tear.

"What is that anyway?" Oliver asked as he finally calmed down, but was still grinning.