Chapter 1

My body moved on its own will

My body moved on its own will. It moved in the direction Vincent was nearing from. In the back of my mind I registered that he was not alone, but he was my main focus. Everything in my body was screaming at me to run to him, but I knew it would be a big mistake if I did.

It took a moment for everyone to slowly realize that someone was approaching. One by one they started pouring into the clearing. My heart was racing and all I could do was pray that a fight wouldn't break out. Vincent, Dimitri, and Archer were the last to step out. The look on their faces told me that they were here to cause trouble.

No one said a word and no one dared to move. I realized that they were all waiting on me. The realization of the situation sunk in and I began feeling a burning rage within me. What else was Vincent trying to take away from me? My dad was the last person I had. I underestimated just how cruel he could be.

"Leave," I ordered, "you don't belong here."

"You know that crossing the territory without permission is against our agreement, Archer." Donovan said.

Archer smiled. "The agreement stood when Blaine was still alive, and when Vincent wasn't the Alpha."

"So you came all this way just to tell us of Vincent's new status?"

"Actually, we came here because Vincent is now Alpha of Wood Grove. He's come to take what is rightfully his."

There were several vicious growls coming from the pack members that belonged to Wood Grove. I searched his face for any sign that this was all some sort of sick joke. That maybe he was being forced to do this by someone else. Any sign that I could get to think that this wasn't the person I loved so deeply.

"You have no right over Wood Grove." Kyle snarled at Vincent.

"I have every right. She belongs to me now." Vincent pointed a finger at me. "She is my mate which makes me the Alpha of Wood Grove."

"You are not our Alpha." Kyle spat. "You never will be."

"It is pack law. Your Alpha is dead and the next in line for the title was Chloe. Since she is a she-wolf and I am now her mate, that title rightfully falls to me. Besides, your pack doesn't want an Alpha that will easily fall for anything...or anyone."

"Why are you doing this?" I asked in a whisper. I knew he could hear me. "You already won so why do all of this? What have I done to you? You've already taken everything from me."

"Not everything."

The look he gave me told me something worse was yet to come. He looked at the pyre where my dad laid. When he took a step forward he received several growls but no one moved to stop him. Even though we outnumbered Vincent and his group, they didn't make a move to try to attack. I didn't know if I was thankful for that or if I wanted just the opposite.