Chapter 17

My body was sore and my eyes were heavy

My body was sore and my eyes were heavy. I didn't want to wake up but I could feel someone shaking me. They were urging me to wake up.

When I finally woke up Vincent's face came into view. He sighed in relief and grabbed my hands and began to kiss them. I noticed that my hands were covered in blood. It smelled awful.

"Welcome back." Vincent said.

"What happened?" I looked around the room and everyone was sitting on the floor around me. "Vincent, what happened? Where is Theo? Is he-"

"Calm down, Chloe." Vincent pushed me lightly back down on the ouch when I tried to get up. "Theo is fine. He's alive and he's resting upstairs. I think he might have a thing for Tess." Vincent laughed.

"He's alive then?"

"You saved him. I don't know how you did it but you saved him. Once he shifted he began to heal. You on the other hand hit the floor so hard. You stopped breathing and I thought I had lost you for a second there. We had to draw out the poison in you too. You healed much faster than we all expected."

"No wonder I feel so tired." I yawned.

Now that I was more alert I could feel Theo. I could practically feel his heart beating next to mine. It was like we had a strange connection. For the moment I pushed the feeling back.

I brought my attention back to everyone around me. It seemed that I wasn't the only person who was mentally and physically drained. Everyone looked exhausted as well.

"Is something else wrong?" I asked.

I had a feeling that what happened a while ago wasn't exactly the cause of everyone's mood.

"Theo said something when he woke up." Ian said. "He isn't going to spill until you've talked to him. He wouldn't say a word to us."

"Is he awake?" I asked.

"Tessa is upstairs with him."

I tried to stand and I had everyone around me trying to help. Vincent was the one who was closer and had an arm wrapped around my waist. He looked at everyone with a glare. It was clear that he didn't want anyone else touching me.

"Where is Kyle?" I asked, frantically looking around but knowing he wasn't there.

"We haven't been able to find him yet." Seth said, worriedly.

I had a small jolt of panic in my heart. This was my fault. Kyle left because of me. He was so angry. What if he did something stupid? What if that stupid thing got him killed. No. Kyle wasn't like that. Sure he hates Red Blood but he wouldn't do something crazy out of impulse.

"I'll go find him." Vincent said, noticing my panic. "I should let that dog go but I don't like seeing you worried, especially over him."

I wanted to snap at Vincent for how he was talking about Kyle but I held my tongue. Mostly because it surprised me that he would even offer to go.