Chapter 8

"Where are we going, Vincent?"

We were walking through the woods with Vincent tugging on my arm. I tried to put on the breaks but to be honest my entire body felt mush. After what we did I had a bit of a problem feeling my legs. He made me weak.

"Are you sure Donovan said something about the Elders?" Vincent asked.

"You didn't answer my question." I tugged on my arm again.

"We are going to talk to Archie." He stated. "He hasn't mentioned anything so my guess is that he doesn't know. The Elder's only get involved with packs when they intend on laying down the law."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, confused.

"How much have you been told about packs?"

We had stopped walking but Vincent still had a hold on me. A part of me wondered if he was worried I would try to run away from him. For now he had my attention.

"Well, my lessons on Lycan hierarchy have only consisted so far on learning the ranks within the pack. We haven't exactly gotten to Elder history. My understanding is that if an Alpha had an Alpha they would be it, right?"

"The Elder's are the most respected wolves that consist of pure Lycan bloodline. In a way you're right. They are the top Alpha's. They control all the packs across the states. Alpha's report to them once a year to make sure that we stay in line. There have been several packs in the past that tried to overthrow them. Not a lot of Alpha's like taking orders from someone who should be their equal. But years ago Lycan's were getting reckless and the Elder's had to come up with a solution to protect our species and keep us from causing chaos."

"Okay..." I said slowly.

"Whenever a pack stepped out of line or broke pack law the entire back was wiped out. That is the only reason Elder's will ever get involved in pack business, to wipe them off the face of the earth. It's a constant reminder that we don't just answer to our Alpha's but to them too."

"I don't have to ask why they would be getting involved in pack business." I said, twisting my arm and breaking free from his hold. "They're now short one Alpha thanks to you."

"Chloe-"

"If you ask me your pack deserves to be wiped out."

"You don't understand." Vincent said, ignoring the hatred behind my words. "Red Blood and Wood Grove were originally one pack. Your dad broke pack law when he divided his pack into two."

I remembered my dad telling me about how he let Vincent's dad become the Alpha of the people he was taking in that my dad didn't agree with. Another memory tugged at the back of my mind.

"There are things you don't understand. I will have to get people involved in order to clean up the mess Archer Sinclair created. That's not something I want. People will be hurt or maybe even killed."