Chapter 27

"Chloe, relax

"Chloe, relax." Yahir said.

I was pacing back and forth in the living room trying to keep myself together. Half an hour had passed and no word from Brian or Vincent. It made me feel useless that I couldn't be there for him.

"I can't relax. Vincent is out there and if Archer hurts him..." I couldn't even finish.

"You've got bigger problems on your hands. What the hell were you thinking going along with the stupid plan to kill the Elders?" Kyle's tone sounded disapproving and he shot Yahir a cold look.

"It's not stupid to want to save innocent people." Yahir shot at Kyle. "She's an Alpha and wanting to protect your pack is what Alpha's do. Besides, there's a bigger picture to look at."

"Why Chloe?" Kyle asked. "Find someone else for your campaign. There must be something else that can be done."

"Kyle, they want to kill everyone in Wood Grove and Red Blood. I can't let that happen." I said. "This isn't the first time the Elder's have wiped out a pack. Do you think it will stop with me? If I can do anything to help then I will."

"You're too busy trying to protect everyone else you don't think about yourself. Who will protect you, Chloe?" He said. "This isn't just some pack war. We are talking about the Alpha's of all Alpha's."

I wasn't too concerned about myself. Even if things ended badly I would know that I tried everything I could. I wouldn't give up and run away. People needed me and I couldn't let them down.

The possibility of having a real family was at the back of my mind. Yahir was my cousin and he wasn't the last of my family. At least from my mother's side I could gain what I had lost, but what if they were part of the people that we needed to kill?

No. That couldn't be possible. If Yahir was part of this then that meant the other Grimaldi's had to be too, right? I needed to have a long talk with him as soon as all of this was over and done with.

"There are people inside the Council that are ready to put an end to the Elder's reign. It will not be an easy war, but one we will be able to win with the right people."

"We have to try, Kyle. I already have them my word."

"The world doesn't have to rest on your shoulders, Chloe. This is an impossible mission. You're going to get yourself killed." Before I knew it, Kyle had me in his arms. I debated on pulling away but I felt too tired and needed the comfort. "Let's go somewhere just the two of us. Leave everything behind and start a new life together."

I should have pulled away especially knowing that Yahir was looking at us, but I stood frozen in his arms. The thought of running away and leaving everything behind was so tempting. What the hell was I supposed to do? I was only a kid. I didn't have what it took to do what Brian wanted me to do, but I couldn't just run. That wasn't the person I wanted to be.