Chapter 10

There was a name for people like me- people who couldn't walk straight without bumping into something

There was a name for people like me- people who couldn't walk straight without bumping into something. That was me. Here I was trying to run through the trees with a more coordinated boy. He was younger than me- not by much, but it was still embarrassing.

I tried to keep up and I could tell he was only slowing down for my sake. I didn't know why I was having so much trouble. Weren't Lycan's supposed to be graceful? Why did I have to get the short end of the stick?

Lycan's were faster than humans. It didn't take us long to reach the group  running after the scent. I could pick it up now and it was the same scent from earlier. I knew that scent, but I couldn't remember who it belonged to.

"Alpha." One of the women with the women greeted me.

"The scent is stronger." I noted absently.

"Whoever is crossing over must have been here a few minutes ago but it seems they've crossed over."

I looked at the woman who seemed to be in her mid-thirties. Her hands rested on the button and zipper of her jeans. I wondered if she planned on shifting.

"What's your name?" I asked her.

"Willow."

I looked at the rest of the group waiting for them to introduce themselves. One of the men in the group wasn't looking at me. He was staring at the boy behind me. I was assuming it had to be his father.

"Theo, what are you doing here?" He asked.

Theo looked down and mumbled and apology. I felt guilty for him being there. Mostly because it was putting him in some danger and he just looked so young.

"It's my fault he's here." I said. "Thank you, Theo, you can head back now."

Theo looked like he wanted to protest but headed off. It took me a moment to try to reach out to Kyle's mind to tell him to meet Theo halfway. I didn't want anything to happen to the kid if we had someone lurking around,

"I'm sorry, Alpha, it's just he just that he's still a pup."

"Dan, he'll be alright." Willow said.

"I sent Kyle to meet him halfway." I assured him. "He'll be fine."

Dan nodded at me. Now I had to worry about how I was supposed to take down whoever had crossed over. I sucked at hand to hand combat and I hadn't tried fighting in my wolf form. What if I started to overthink like I did when I tried to attack Vincent?

"Alright let's find our intruder and for the love of all that is holy do not cross Red Blood." I said. "You can all leave that to me."

We took off in a run and I noticed three stayed behind to shift into their wolf form before catching up to us. We followed the scent and it hit me full force. I tried to scan the trees on Red Blood territory and I swear I saw a blur. I pushed myself further when I saw the figure crisscross in front of us. The wolves pushed themselves ahead.