Chapter 30

One more chapter until Blood Rush!

I could hear Yahir running towards us. He was still far but it was just what I needed to throw myself at Archer. My body was shifting and I pushed away the uncomfortable pain that came with it. This was my chance to catch him off guard.

Archer fell on his back and twisted under the weight of my wolf form. In a second his canines were trying to latch on to any part of me that he could get to.

In the distance I could hear Kyle shouting my name. I couldn't think about him right now. I wanted blood. Archer had to pay.

I let all the anger I felt for Archer fuel me. I didn't stop trying to sink my canines into him. My sharp nails dug into his flesh without mercy.

Loud howls pierced the air and it was a second of distraction. It was one second that cost me the upper hand. Archer slammed his body into my side and sent me rolling on the ground.

I scrambled to get on all four. When I looked around more wolves were pouring in.

The Elders are here! Tessa's voice came by fast through our mind link. Three of them were spotted and one was killed. The others got away. Chloe, they'll come for us for sure.

What? How-how did that happen?

Red Blood was waiting for them and they set a trap. It's a declaration of war against the Elders. They'll all come to wipe us out.

That's what Archer wanted. It would be easier to have them all in one place with the belief that they would come to kill us all. A pack would be no match for their numbers, but Archer was building an army.

Too distracted by the news I didn't see when a wolf slammed his body against mine. It wasn't Archer. He too seemed to be distracted by the chaos happening around us. By the gleam in his eyes I could see that his plan was falling perfectly into place.

Run, Chloe, I can't stop.

Vincent's claws were ripping my flesh. He was growling and I only felt half the strength of his teeth latching onto my front leg to throw me off balance.

Fight it, Vincent!

I don't want to kill you, Chloe. Please just get away.

I cried out when he bit down on my side. Before he could get another bite I twisted out of his reach and latched on to his neck. Vincent was trying to throw me off but I wasn't going to give him the chance.

Listen to me, Vincent. I said through our mind link. You can fight this. He doesn't control you. You are the Alpha.

Just then I felt someone get a hold of my hind legs and I was dragged away from Vincent. I didn't recognize the wolf but they had to be Red Blood. I stood on all fours and crouched down.

I could see other wolves slowly circling me. Archer was one of those wolves and Vincent still seemed to struggle with himself. He didn't want to kill me and was trying to fight it. I just didn't know how long that was going to last.

Neither of the wolves in front of me made a move to attack. The more they circled me the more I realized they were slowly caging me in with Vincent.

Vincent, you have to fight it. I growled at him. Please. Don't let him win.

I heard Vincent growl. Kill me. Do it quick and fast before I lose full control. Don't think twice about it.

No!

I shifted back into my human form. There was no way Vincent could attack me in such a vulnerable way. Archer was cruel, but Vincent loved me. What we had was stronger than whatever control Archer had over him.

"Vincent, I love you. I know you won't hurt me. As your Alpha, as your Elder, I order you to fight it. I order you to fight for me."

One of the wolves growled and I had no doubt it was Archer. I ignored him. Vincent began thrashing on the ground and I slowly moved towards him.

Stay away! He snapped.

"Vincent, look at me." I pleaded. "You can do this. You can fight this."

I wanted to cry when Vincent started shifting back. He was breathing heavily. His eyes were dark when he looked up at me. I moved closer to him.

"I know you can fight this."

Vincent was shaking when he reached out for me. I sighed when Vincent relaxed and lasted his palm on my cheek. His other hand moved to my face and cupped it. His eyes were locked on mine.

My heart stopped beating when his lips softly brushed against mine. This was it. It was just the two of us. Archer would not take this away from us.

My happiness was short lived when I felt his hands slide down to my neck and squeeze. My eyes flew open and I clawed at his hands.

"No!"

I can't...control it.

"Vincent." I choked out.

Chloe, do it. Kill me before I kill you.

"I...can't."

No. This was all wrong. I couldn't even think about killing Vincent. I would rather die than know that I was played into Archer's hands.

Turn it off, Chloe. Vincent's words were soft in my mind. Don't think about it. Push it away from your mind. Don't feel. Just...turn it off.

My heart sank. This couldn't be happening to me. Not Vincent. I couldn't lose anyone else.

"No." I whispered.

Trust me, Chloe. Just turn it off. Please. My eyes blurred with tears. I love you, Chloe. That's why I chose you instead of me. You have to live.

I searched Vincent's eyes. He was ready for this. It was either me or him, and Vincent had already chosen.

I'm sorry.

I closed my eyes and centered myself. I couldn't let myself think about what I was about to do. I had to push it all away from me. I had to let all my feelings go and focus on what I needed to do.

I felt a sharp pain in my heart and I knew Vincent had felt it too by the way his hands loosened on my neck. There was an emptiness in me that I had never felt before.

Vincent stared at me and opened his mouth to say something. Before he could get a word out I dug my claws into his chest. We both froze and time seemed to stop right along with us.

"Do it." He whispered low enough so only I could hear. "Do it and don't ever look back."

"I'll kill him if it's the last thing I do." I promised.

Vincent pulled me to him and our lips met once more. I jerked my hand and Vincent let out a breath before he fell to the ground. I lifted my hand and looked at Vincent's heart. I met the eyes of the other wolves surrounding me. I could see the shock in their eyes.

"Who's next?" I asked.