Chapter 9

Kyle sighed looking unsure

Kyle sighed looking unsure. "As much as I want to believe you, it's just not that easy. The longer you stay bound to him the harder it gets to break it. Even if you were to do it now, it's near impossible. Once a wolf chooses a mate it's for life."

"Has it ever happened before?" I asked Kyle. "Has someone ever broken a mating bond?"

"Yes there have been some cases. I don't know to what extreme their situation had to reach to the point of someone doing that. It's almost unheard of to be completely honest."

"Let's hope I can be strong enough to do it when the time comes." I said. "For now I need your help with something."

"With what?"

"When I was with Vincent I remembered what Donovan said about the Elders. Has he said anything about it?"

"Donovan has been avoiding me. We should probably try to find him. It's making me feel uneasy. He's been too quiet even for him. We should go down to the stream to see if anyone is there. We also need to see what's been going on with the pack members."

Now I could really understand why my dad wanted Kyle to be my mate. The way he spoke was like it was instinctual for him to just know what to do. He learned the dynamics from my dad. He had so much knowledge it would be so easy just to hand over everything to him. Maybe that would be for the best.

"Kyle, do you know why my dad would have any reason for the Elders to come? I remember when you were attacked-which I know now was not a bear," I narrowed my eyes at him, "and my dad was so mad we argued over Vincent. He said Archer had caused some sort of mess and he had to get people involved. He didn't exactly say the Elders but now I'm thinking that's who he meant."

"I don't know what Archer could do to make your dad think that he had to get them involved. Your dad would have gotten in a lot of trouble. Archer has done a lot of shady stuff in the past. This must be pretty big."

"We have to get some answers."

"The only thing I can think of is Archer's numbers. They've been growing significantly over the past two years. Even though your dad handed over half of his pack to Vincent's father he kept track of them. It was his responsibility to do so. What he did-"

"Goes against pack law." I finished for him. "My dad broke the rules."

"Yeah he did, but I'm sure he had a good reason to do so. Still...with both packs racking high number's it's going to look like..."

Kyle trailed off and his eyes widened. He shot to his feet and walked to my dad's office. I trailed after him watching as he walked in but not being able to follow him. Everything smelled like my dad. His scent wrapped around the room like a blanket and it took everything in me not to break down.

"What are you looking for?" I asked when Kyle started going through my dad's desk.

"I'm looking for the records your dad kept on both packs. He must have had the numbers and if what I'm thinking is right then Archer just sentences us all to death."