Chapter 3

"What is the meaning of this?"

That was the first thing we heard. There were several murmurs around. We stood in the back watching. When I took a step to walk forward Kyle held me back. He shook his head at me and continued to observe. He was taller and could see more than me from where we stood. Knowing I couldn't see I focused my hearing.

"This is what Blane wanted. We were preparing for war and you better than anyone knows it, Finn." I heard Don say.

"These people cannot be trusted. They have turned their backs on our people and our ways. Even the Elders have a kill-on-sight rule."

"Brother, do you think the Elder's will let us go without any punishment for what we have done then you are wrong. We need to prepare for what is to come and gather as many allies as we can.

"We're in serious trouble" Kyle whispered to me.

"What do you mean we're in trouble?" I asked.

"What is this?" Kyle demanded.

Everyone turned in unison to look at us. I was still lost as to what was happening. It was obviously something bad if it had everyone worked up.

They all moved so a direct path led to Don. The fire to my dad's pyre still burned wildly. The flames danced behind Don. He was so close to the fire but it didn't seem to bother him.

"That's what I want to know." Don's voice came out low and threatening

"She reeks of dirty blood."

It was then I noticed someone walking out of the shadows behind Don. I was so concentrated on him that I didn't take the appearance of the other wolves that clearly did not blend with the pack.

They smelled... wrong. I could feel that they didn't belong here. They stood out with the way they dressed and how wild they looked.

"Who the hell are you?" Kylie asked.

"This is Riley." Don answered for the guy. "He's a welcomed guest into the pack as well as his friends. You will treat him with respect as you treat me."

The loud growls around me said otherwise. These people were not friends and they were not welcomed here. The tension was thick in the air. I hadn't been a wolf for long but I could feel the wolf inside of me stirring. I sensed danger in that man

"So you're the one calling the shots now? You don't have that authority. The Alpha role belongs to Chloe."

"Not if it means betraying the pack."

Don looked me in the eyes and held my stare. I didn't like where the conversation was heading. I had a bad feeling deep in my gut.

"She hasn't-"