Chapter 13

"I don't know why you just don't ask Vincent

"I don't know why you just don't ask Vincent." Judith said.

"I already told you he has to stay out of this. If this gets to him then he'll lose it and ruin everything. He could die if he does something rash. Our enemy isn't just Archer, it's the Elders too."

We had settled in at the restaurant across the Purple Lantern. It was a place where I had been to when I had recently moved back to Ashburn. Judith sat across from me drinking her coffee and looking at me intently.

"The Elders aren't our enemy, Chloe. They just do their job. It doesn't matter how cruel their ways may seem they only do what they think is best. If we didn't have them then Lycans would rule the earth."

"Do you think the Elders could be killed?" I asked. "All of them, I mean. If more than one pack were to take them down?"

Judith laughed. "Anyone can be killed. No one is stupid enough to try, of course. It would take a large number of wolves to take one of the four areas the Elders control. They are stronger in strength. They're one of the most experienced wolves in the entire world."

"But it can be done, right? Let's say if someone were to combine two packs and maybe round up a few rogues, could it be done?"

"That's what you think Archer is planning?"

This was bigger than just our pack itself. If Archer was going through all of this trouble he wasn't going to easily back out of it. Especially now that he thinks everything is falling in his favor,

"It's what Tessa thinks. He has the perfect opportunity to do it when they get here..."

"When they get here what?"

I never considered Donovan as being part of Archer's scheme. What of he was manipulating Donovan too? My father trusted him. He was like a father to me. All my memories of Donovan were of him watching over me and keeping me safe. He would let me get away with a lot of things and would lie to my dad in order to protect me.

"Something big is going to happen and we have to stop it. I'm guessing this is just an excuse to take the Elders down one by one."

"This would be perfect timing for something like that. Even if it's going to happen, how are we going to stop it?"

"I-I don't know, but I do know that Dimitri can help. We have to make everyone see the bigger picture here."

"If we manage to somehow pull this off it'll be a miracle."

"Why did it have to be me?" I asked myself more than Judith. "I don't even know what I'm doing anymore."

There were so many pieces of the puzzle I had to look at. I kept telling myself that I was more than capable of pulling everything together. I had people on my side that were willing to help. I needed Dimitri more than anything, but convincing him would be a challenge. How could I possibly ask him to betray Archer who has been a father to him?

"Your guard dog is here." Judith said, bringing me out of my thoughts. She stood up and headed to the door. "We'll talk later."

I nodded. Judith walked out of the restaurant leaving me alone. I had two people now that were part of Red Blood on my side. If I could get more people to help me then I could start feeling more confident about what we were trying to do. Judith could help with recruiting more people and possibly convincing some of the older Lycans.

Kyle walked into the restaurant as he was wiping blood from the corner of his lip. I knew it was blood because I smelled the scent as soon as he entered the room. I rushed over to him but he walked right back out.

"Kyle!" I called after him. "Wait!"

"Now you want to talk to me?"

"What the hell happened?" I asked stepping in front of him to block his path. "Why are you bleeding?"

"The pricks from Red Blood were talking about you. The people from our pack are no better." He explained. "Do me a favor and never go into the Purple Lantern alone again."

"You tried to start a brawl inside the Purple Lantern? Kyle, what if something were to happen to you? I would have no one left."

"You seem to have enough people."

He glanced over my shoulder even though there wasn't anyone there. I knew he was talking about Judith and Tessa.

"They're on our side." I assured him.

"What if they try to hurt you?" he questioned. "What if I'm not there to stop it? You keep pushing me away, Chloe. Don't push me away. I can't bear the thought of losing you."

I couldn't lose Kyle either. He was the only person I had left that made me feel the slightest bit alive. He was the only person who kept pushing me to go. If something were to happen to Kyle I would never forgive myself.

"I wish you would keep your distance." I said. "Everyone around me is dying and I don't want you to be next."

"Why? I should be protecting you. Your father always told me to protect you." He tried to defend.

"and now he's dead. Don't you see that everyone I have ever loved dies? What if something were to happen to you?"

"Do you really care about me that much?"

"Of course I do!" I snapped. "How can you even ask me that? I care about you more than you think."

Kyle looked at me as if he was unsure. I cared about Kyle, but Vincent was in my heart. I hated Vincent but I also loved him. The bond we have as mates was making my feelings for Vincent intensify. I wondered if that was really the only reason I loved him.

"Once this is all over," I began, "I promise I will find a way to break my bond with Vincent."

"The only way would be killing him."

I shook my head. "There has to be another way. If I find a way then I will do it. If we get through this... I'll break my bond with him."

"You'll do that?"

"I'm willing to try."

Saying the words felt wrong. Everything I was saying about putting Vincent behind me felt wrong. I had to be strong. I would find a way and I would make Kyle happy. He deserves to be happy.

I wasn't expecting Kyle to grab my face in both of his hands and bring it close to his. His eyes bored into mine. I could see his eyes begin to darken just in the slightest. I could feel his warm breath hitting my bottom lip.

"I'm going to hold you to that." He said before crashing his lips to mine.

I couldn't explain the feeling rushing through me. It was like his body was hot iron. It burned like fire would. I wanted it to stop, but I didn't stop him. I didn't push Kyle away even as he pushed me back into the seat and deepened the kiss.

I held onto Kyle and pressed myself against him. I fought the urge to push him away and rip him apart for touching me in such a way. If I wanted to find a way from freeing myself from Vincent then I had to be strong. What if this was the only way?