Chapter 20

"Kyle, it's me

"Kyle, it's me. Again. Just...just let me know you're okay. Please, I need to know."

"Still no word?" Ian asked.

I shook my head and slammed the phone on the table. It had been three days and Kyle was still nowhere to be found. What if he just left? I wouldn't blame him if he did. Was that the reason I couldn't feel him anymore? I had to believe that was it and not because he could be dead.

"I've tried looking, Chloe, but no one has seen him." Vincent looked apologetic. "My uncle said he hasn't crossed Red Blood."

I wasn't going to believe anything out of Archer's mouth. I hadn't left my house in three days. Ian and Tessa didn't want me to because it was dangerous. I wouldn't leave because I hoped that Kyle would come back and I had to be here to see him safe and sound. It also had to do with me being scared.

"We won't give up." Seth said. "We'll keep looking."

"We have been. For three days now." I sighed. "I don't know how much of this I can handle."

I had a gut feeling that Archer was involved in this somehow. I had to get my hands on him. Dimitri said that Archer was being secretive. No surprise there, but he was sure that Archer was involved. He had seen Donovan at his house once.

Dimitri was right when he said it wouldn't be easy finding the Council member. He was watching us all but keeping a low profile. One thing he was able to find out is that Archer really wanted to get his hands on him.

I couldn't sit any longer. I hadn't to take action.

"I need to get some fresh air."

I got up from the kitchen table and everyone else followed. Vincent narrowed his eyes at everyone around me. He was getting annoyed with everyone shadowing me. To be completely honest, it was annoying me to death as well.

"I meant alone." I said.

"Alpha..." Ricky said.

I gave him a sharp look and he didn't say anything else. Everyone knew that Vincent couldn't know about my new found status.

"Chloe, it's not-"

"Don't." I warned.

"Is there something going on that I don't know about?" Vincent asked.

"No." We all answered at once.

Vincent didn't look convinced but he didn't ask any other questions. He looked at me, patiently waiting for an explanation.

"I'm really tired of being cooped up here. I need to go for a run." I said.

"I'll-"

"Alone." I repeated before Vincent could finish his sentence.

No one tried to stop me from leaving. They probably all felt how unsettled I was becoming. I hadn't been shifting. I knew I needed to practice but I couldn't bring myself to try.