Chapter 7

Vincent ducked and rolled out of the way

Vincent ducked and rolled out of the way. I didn't think he would just take my sudden attack. Even though I wanted to go after him the sudden burst of energy got the best of me.

I didn't stop to look behind me. The trees moved past me in a blur. I struggled to keep from crashing into the trees. I felt the pain in my shoulder every time I couldn't move out of the way quickly enough.

When I finally slowed down my body felt exhausted. I kept pawing at the ground and trees out of frustration. I didn't like being in wolf form. It didn't feel natural to me, but somehow it felt right.

I didn't know how much time had passed but I found myself slowly falling asleep. My eyes had just closed when they snapped back open. I felt my back twist. I was breathing hard while my body took its time to readjust into its natural form. I was crying from pain when it was finally over. The thought of having to go through the pain again until it no longer hurt was not pleasant.

I lay on the ground panting until my breathing evened out. The only thing I could do was close my eyes and fall asleep. It was the best sleep I ever had. I didn't have any nightmares like the past few days. Even awake they haunted me.

I woke up with an alertness that I didn't expect. I sensed that there was someone close by. As I stood I noticed I was in bare human form. My body was coated with yellow bruises that were slowly healing. My muscles no longer seemed to ache.

I felt him closer now. I wanted to run and hide but I knew he would find me. He came after me. The range I felt was no longer there. Even if I wanted to walk away I couldn't. I needed answers.

"I know you're out there." I said when he didn't show himself right away.

"You could have seriously hurt yourself." I turned around to see him making his way towards me.

"That wouldn't have been your problem." I snapped.

Vincent didn't hide his shame on how his eyes were roaming my naked body. He was dressed in shorts and a dirty white t-shirt. His hair was messy as if he ran his hands through it multiple times. I wanted to hide from him but I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of seeing me squirm under his stare. I was guarded now that he was here though. I couldn't know what to expect from him.

"Don't be stupid and reckless just because you're pissed at me. Running away when you haven't gotten used to your wolf is dangerous. You weren't acting on instinct."

I remembered the day after the full moon how easy it was to run when I didn't have to think about all the mess I had gotten myself into. It came naturally to me. Even running when I wasn't worried about the trees and just let my body take over. It was dangerous for me when I was overthinking it and wasn't feeling connected.

"You're lucky I kept running." I said. "I was aiming for your neck."

"I know you were but you wouldn't have hurt me. You're angry but the bond we have would have overpowered any desire you had of killing me."