Chapter 25

"No way

"No way." Yahir said. "That's not possible."

"I'm not lying. I have no reason to."

"This is the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen." Brian said, running a hand through his hair. "This isn't good."

Brian and Yahir shared a look and I wondered if they were communicating through mind link. They had to believe me. Why else would Brian have saved me if not to feed his curiosity. Why was he able to recognize me? I was one of them. We were connected by blood-bound to it.

"I think my dad kept me away because of my mom. She didn't want to be found. He was trying to protect me."

"The Elders won't see it simply as a father protecting his daughter." Brian said. "They will think about other motives as to why you were kept away. Maybe your father wanted to take lead a revolt against the Elders. Perhaps he could have been planning to use you to get a spot in the council. The possibilities are endless."

The more Brian spoke the more I wanted to punch him in the face. My dad would never use me like that. He also didn't care about the Elders. He could have just used my mom if he wanted to. Archer and Donovan were the ones with the crazy ideas about a revolution.

"My dad wouldn't do any of those things. What if...what if I tell the Elders classified information? There is someone moving against them. I bet they'll do anything to stop it."

"What do you know?" Brian's voice grew serious.

I launched into the full story. Right from the day my mom died to the day I was sent off, to the day I arrived back to Ashburn, right now to being tortured. Reliving the last few hours wasn't something I wanted to do, but they had to know everything.

A very big part of me was telling me not to trust these two, but who else was supposed to help me? I was in no condition to fight off Archer and Donovan if they decided to come back for me. I also had to gain some trust if the Elders were going to be here soon. Maybe they wouldn't kill me off right away.

Looking at Yahir I couldn't help but think of all the family I missed out on. We're my grandparents still alive? Did I have aunts or uncles? Maybe a few more cousins? It made me feel less lonely.

"That's..." Brian day back and ran a hand down his face.

He continued to look at me and then shared a look with Yahir. I could tell that he wanted to say something. It was making me feel slightly nervous.

"Chloe, I appreciate that you're putting your trust in us. I-I want to believe I can trust you as well."

"Okay..." I said, slowly. It wasn't the response I was really expecting.

"What I'm about to tell you is very important and cannot be repeated, do you understand?"

I nodded. "I understand."