Chapter 24

I wasn't sure when it was that I had passed out from the pain

I wasn't sure when it was that I had passed out from the pain. All I remembered was Yahir quickly working over me. There was shouting and growling from somewhere in the house. I knew it must have been Vincent. I felt my wolf calling out to him. It was torture knowing he was here but not being able to be with him.

    When I opened my eyes they felt dry of moisture. The light hitting my face made me wince. I didn't try to move. My body felt too weak to even lift a hand. It hurt just to even breathe.

    "You're awake."

    I turned my head to see Yahir sitting on a chair next to my bed. He was grinning down at me, his dimples making him look younger. He was sitting so close to me and in the light I had a better view of him. He had deep blue eyes that looked so tired. His dark hair hung low over his forehead, low enough that it almost touched his dark brows. If I could guess I would think he was in his late twenties or early thirties.

    "How long have I been out?"

My voice came out raspy and it felt dry. When I tried to speak again my throat tightened from the dryness. It hurt to even talk. I wanted to ask Yahir for some water. He seemed to get on to what I needed. He helped me sit up and he handed me a glass of water.

"You've been out for a day. I'm impressed. I would have thought you would be out longer. I'm glad you're finally awake. Your mate has been giving us a lot of trouble."

"Where is Vincent?"

I was surprised he wasn't here in the room with me waiting for me to wake up. I was almost disappointed. Almost. Vincent would have been more trouble than he could have been helpful. Still, I needed to see him.

"Brian is taking care of him."

"The Council Member?"

"You can just call him Brian, and yes. He took him out for a run. He was getting too anxious sitting around. Too be honest, most of your pack seemed to be on edge. Why would that be?"

I looked at him not feeling sure of where this conversation was headed. Looking into his blue eyes I felt a sense of familiarity. Even so, I couldn't trust him. Brian said he had followed me. How long exactly had he been following me? How much information did he gather in doing that?

"It's probably because we have people from the Council here." I said, answering his question.

"Brian is very interested in speaking with you. You are a curious little thing."

"Why does he want to talk to me?"

"I'm assuming you know of your father's actions. We did not know of his passing nor of your existence. Why is that?"

"I don't know." I said, trying to sound honest. "Your guess is as good as mine."

The was noise at the door and my head jerked to see who it was. Brian was standing at the door with a blank look on his face. He was giving nothing away and that made me feel nervous.