Chapter 29

"Why are you asking me this?" Kyle asked

"Why are you asking me this?" Kyle asked. "I already told you what happened."

"Please tell me this isn't what I think it is." I pleaded.

Kyle's guilt was written all over his face as soon as he realized that I knew. I knew that something wasn't right and that Kyle being in that cell was no coincidence. What I didn't know is how he ended up there because it sure as hell wasn't the way he wanted me to think.

"The truth. I want the truth."

"I didn't know what else to do." He said, softly. "I promised I would keep you safe."

They were here. I sensed them before I even saw them. Kyle knew too, and so did Vincent. We all turned and waited for them to make their appearance. Sure enough Archer made his way towards us flanked by Donovan and Alaric. Three against three, this wouldn't be too bad. It would take everything in us to take them on.

"Kyle, it seems you kept true to your word." Archer's triumphant smile made me want to lunge at him and claw his eyes out. I wanted to make him bleed for everything he had done.

"I promised to bring them both. Here they are."

"What is the meaning of this, you bastard?" Vincent snapped.

"Vincent, such words for your dear uncle." Archer mocked. "What would your parents think?"

The growl that ripped out of Vincent's throat had me standing in front of him. Archer knew that Vincent was well aware of what he had done. That it was Archer who had killed his parents and not my dad.

"I will kill you. I will kill you for what you have done. They trusted you-I trusted you!"

"How did it feel knowing you killed an innocent man?"

Vincent was shaking from behind me. "What do you want, Archer."

He smiled. "Good to see you've made it alive, though I still wonder how it is that you got out. No one knew about those cells."

"Wouldn't you like to know." Two could play at this game.

"Did he tell you about our little deal?" Archer's eyes slid over to Kyle's. "You know, he really did beg me not to kill you. We made a deal, your life for Vincent's."

I looked at Kyle and I could see the truth there. His body had gone rigid and he looked at Archer with a murderous look, but he didn't deny it. This is what he was hiding from me.

It hurt. It ripped something apart in me. I trusted Kyle. He was the only person left in my life that I could never imagine would hurt me. Even if he was doing it for my so-called protection, I would never forgive him.

"Vincent is here," Kyle said, "Chloe and I are leaving now."

"Are you insane?" I snapped. "He'll kill Vincent."