Chapter 23

"You're

"You're..."

I couldn't finish the sentence. He was the one Dimitri was looking for. He was going to bring him to me, but how did he find me? Dimitri had to have gotten to them in order for them to be here? How else would they have known?

"How did you find us?" I asked.

"I followed you."

"You...followed me?"

The council member nodded. That wasn't what I had expected. He didn't elaborate any further. Three men joined him and I cowered back. They looked massive. All muscular and all business like. These were the kind of men that didn't laugh at jokes. What surprised me more was when a woman stepped next to them.

The woman herself looked to be fit and just as fierce as the men. Her face held a blank expression though her eyes never stopped roaming over me. It made me feel uneasy.

"Lara, if you will."

"Sir." She said, holding out a key.

Council member Brian took the key and opened they cell. He stepped inside and Kyle growled at him in a wanting.

"How do we know you're not here to kill us?" Kyle asked.

"You're not on trial. Yet." He said, emphasizing the last word. "Uriel, Yahir,"

Two of the big men stepped forward and brushed past Council member Brian. One of them took Kyle by the arm and dragged him out. The one that stayed behind approached me and crouched down in front of me. He reached his hand out but I jerked away.

"Don't." I warned. "I'm covered in-"

"I know." He said in a soft voice that surprised me. "I need to get the chains off of you."

I nodded and held a wrist out to him. He had a key and slipped it into the manacles. It snapped open and feel to the floor. He didn't say anything about how bloody and raw my wrist looked. He quickly worked on the other one.

Before I could think of doing anything, he scooped me up in his arms. It didn't seem to phase him that his skin was burning.

"Let's get moving. I'm sure whoever was in charge here won't be too happy about all the dead bodies."

The council member fell into step next to me. He had a smile on his face as he looked down at me. I wasn't sure if I should be worried about him. He was saving me, but he wasn't here just for that.

We were going down a long hall. The only thing I could see were naked bodies littering the way. I didn't know where we were or how I even got here. I was unconscious the entire time. When I woke up I was already in the cell.

We went up a flight of stairs and it looked like we came up in a house I had never been in. When we made it outside my eyes stung from the bright sun. I turned my head and closed me eyes.