~Chapter Eight~

Isabelle's POV

"Alright Isabelle, you're currently sitting in P8. Go for the overtake, you're in a solid position" Will said over the radio.

I placed my foot down on the accelerator and moved towards the right side of the track, going through the inside to overtake Charles going around this corner. When I was almost there, I saw his car getting closer to mine, inching closer to the edge of the track.

There was then a massive popping noise and the car jolted. Charles had just knocked tires with my car. His tire looked like it would be fine after a pit stop, but I wasn't too sure about mine. It didn't feel too good.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Tires gone. We're done for this race, sorry Isabelle. Bring the car in" Will informed me.

I let out a sigh and looked up at the sky. My second ever formula one race and I blew it.

I hit the steering wheel out of frustration and made my way back to the pit lane.

* * ˚

Lando's POV

I was sitting over on Daniel's side of the garage, watching in from his point of view. His race was going well. I don't think he'll get a podium this race, but a decent P4 looks like it may happen.

"Sorry Isabelle. Bring the car in" I overheard Will saying. What happened over there?

I took my headset off and picked my crutches up, making my way over to Will and the team. They all looked disappointed. Something's happened.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Charles hit Isabelle's tire. It caused damage to the car, so it's not able to be driven for the rest of this race" he said and let out a sigh.

"Is Isabelle ok?" I questioned.

"Yeah she's fine. Probably annoyed, but ok" he nodded, patting my back and walking over to Isabelle who just pulled the car into the pit lane.

Isabelle looked completely devastated while she was talking too Will. There was a hint of anger shown through her eyes, but she wouldn't let anyone see how angry she was, especially with the press right around the corner.

Once she was finished talking to Will, she walked over and weighed herself and then proceeded inside. She'd been using my room while she'd been racing, so I presumed she headed there.

Before anyone would notice, I walked inside, following Isabelle over to my room. The door was shut, and I knocked lightly.

"Come in" a soft, muffled voice was heard on the other side of the door.

"You stuffed it," I said, opening the door and leaning against it.

"Thanks for reminding me" she rolled her eyes, and pulling a foam roller out of her training bag.

"It wasn't your fault you know" I tried to reassure her.

"I know that," she sighed. "I just wish it didn't happen"

"These things happen Isabelle. It's the side of formula one that no one likes" I said, hopping over to the massage bed in the room and sitting on it, while Isabelle was sitting on the floor rolling on the roller.

"I get that Lando, but things are...different for me"

"How is it any different for you? We all go out there and put ourselves at risk of something like that happening. It's happened to pretty much everyone out there at least once." I didn't understand why she thought this incident was different for her.

She sat up and placed the foam roller in front of her. "You guys get in an accident like that and it's mentioned in interviews and everything throughout the week and even maybe the following week. I get in an accident like that, and it's remembered for weeks on end"

"Why would they focus on it for weeks? It was a minor accident, it happens. They'll move on in a few days" I said, still trying to understand where she was coming from.

"But that's just it, they don't!!" she put her head in her hands and rubbed her eyes. "I'm a girl Lando, things are different in this sport when you're not a male"

"What's so different about you and the others out there?" I questioned.

"Well for starters I don't have a penis" she said, a small scoff coming out afterwards. She was proud of that remark.

It took me a little off guard causing me to let out a chuckle. "Ok, besides that"

"Take a look around you, Lando. Do you see any other girls on the grid out there? Any?" she asked, I shook my head in response. "Things are different for me compared to the others"

"Maybe things will bet better" I shrugged, trying to lighten up the situation a bit. I could see that she was annoyed.

"When the press is involved, it won't. The press is my biggest issue" she said, standing up and packing her bag, pulling out her change of clothes. "I'm not going to be out there long, but I want to make myself known. I want to be known to the other teams so I have a possibility to get a seat next season. But that becomes incredibly hard when all the media plays is your worst moments and how bad I am at this sport because I'm a girl"

"The teams can all see how good you are at racing. You wouldn't be a reserve driver if they didn't see potential in you. Zak wouldn't have hired you if he didn't think you could do it" I stated.

"Majority of people think that I did well in the race last week because everyone went easy on me. And you know why they thought that?" she asked. "Because I'm a girl. That's why"

"But you know that's not true. And everyone else out there knows that's not true. You drove a great race last week, keep telling yourself that"

Isabelle took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Why are you being nice to me?" she questioned, changing the subject.

"You were nice to me the other day, thought I'd return the favour" I shrugged with a slight smirk on my face.

"That's not like you Mr Norris" she said, facing me and folding her arms across her chest.

"What can I say? I'm just a nice guy"

"Sure sure" she let out a small laugh from her nose. "Ok, you can leave now. I'm going to get changed. Don't want you seeing anything you don't want to"

"Who say I don't want to see that?" I asked, getting off the massage table and places my crutches under my arms.

Isabelle froze in her place and looked at me with a look of shook. "Excuse me? What did you just say?"

"I'm kidding" I laughed, scrunching up my face. "Who would want to see that?" I said, gesturing to her.

"Ok, out now Norris" she said laughing, pushing me out of the room.

"I'm going, I'm going" I laughed, hopping out of the room.

Maybe we can be friends after all.

゜・ 。。・ ゜゜・ 。。・ ゜★

Sorry for the short chapter, I promise it's going to get interesting soon!!

What are you guys hoping to see from this book? Let me know :)

Don't forget to:

Vote

Comment

Follow

I hope that everyone's doing well. I'm always free to talk to if you need someone to listen.

Have a great day/night :)