Chapter 29 [A BLESSING IN DISGUISE]

CRYSTAL'S P.O.V.

This  is not happening. Lewis Winters dead? How? When? Why?. I can't believe this. This can not be happening. Not now. I don't have a lawyer anymore. How am I going to get out of here. Oh God.

I lifted my head and I couldn't see clearly because my eyes were teary. Lewis is dead and it's all my fault. If only he couldn't have taken up the case he would still be alive. What have I done. He didn't deserve to die. He has a family. What will his parents say?

"Crystal, I know what you are thinking but it's nobody's fault. We couldn't have prevented it. Stop blaming yourself. " Sir Barnie said but I continued to cry. "I have to go" I told him as I got up. I walked out of the hall and my tears couldn't stop flowing and I didn't try to stop them. Ares walked up to me and crashed me into a tight hug. I allowed myself to be vulnerable with her. 

She took me to her office and I sat down and cried myself away. She continued to comfort me. I know that she understood me.

Two hours later, her office was full of tissues and I had no more tears left to cry.  "Since you are done crying, how about we do something else" Ares said. I looked at her and I knew that she wasn't going to let it go. "Something like what?" she got up and started picking up the tissues and throwing them into the dustbin. When she was done, she closed the door and sat close to me.

"I want you to tell me everything and don't leave any detail".  I took a deep breath in and exhaled. I then let out a long stressful sigh.  I gave her a cute puppy dog eyes but she shook her head in disagreement.

"Okay, here goes nothing.
When I got into college, I met this guy, Xavier. He was just an ordinary guy, one thing led to another and we started dating. We went on for months. I fell in love with him and introduced him to my parents but they never approved of him. They warned me to stay away from him but I didn't listen. I thought that they didn't like him because he came from a poor family but that wasn't it. He proposed to me and I agreed. I remember when I told my mom about it, she refused to speak to me for two months straight. I then added salt to the injury I went ahead and got married to him. My mom was beyond pissed.

They had written down a Will that stated that My husband would be the owner of their property expected their company and their house. So when I got married to Xavier, weeks after the marriage, they wanted to go to a lawyer to change the Will but they didn't make it. They died instantly. We moved on and I gave Xavier ownership of the company.  But then things started to change. He started coming home late and he used to leave very early in the morning. I used to prepare food for him and leave it on the dinning table but when I woke up it was untouched. Things went on like that for a month or so.

One day I decided to pay him a visit at the office. He slapped me for going there without informing him and he didn't come home that night. But I didn't give up. I continued to cook food and leaving it on the dinning table only to throw it away the next morning.

He then started drinking. Everyday he came home drunk, he could beat the shit out of me for the things like staring  at him or even for delaying to open the door or not helping him up the stairs, for touching him but I didn't leave him. One day he beat me up to a pulp and I landed on the hospital for two weeks.

He started to sleep around and one day, I cought him with my ex best friend. I still didn't leave. Then he started to force himself on me. That when I saw a reaction on Ares face. She moved from shocked to furious. But I didn't leave. In my heart I knew that maybe this is what I had to endure in order to become a perfect married couple. I knew that all marriages have to pass through a rocky path so that they can become perfect. Then he came to me with the divorce papers. I signed them and left the house. 

I met Sir Barnie and he took me in. Days later, I met a lawyer. His name was Lewis Winters and he worked with my family for a long time  I got to know that my great grandparents were billionaires and they had written a Will stating that their great grandchild will get the inheritance once he or she get to the age of 25. But I would also have to work to prove that I would be good enough to manage everything they had left behind.

I then started working at a club called Noisy. On my first day at work, I got arrested. Xavier accused me of killing his personal mechanic and bombing his car. I was taken to court and Xavier presented fake evidence.
That's how I ended up here and today I got to find out that Lewis my lawyer was involved in a car accident and he died on the spot."

She looked at me and hugged me. "So what you are saying is that this Xavier of a guy owns Danford Enterprise?"  I nodded and she continued. "My husband, Malcolm works there. I don't know if you know him." It then clicked. Malcolm, the hidden CCTV cameras. That's it. " I could ask him to help me out with the footages and see if we can find something that'll help you out." I nodded my head and she hugged me. I knew that God had sent her here for a reason and I have confirmed it. She is indeed a blessing in disguise.

**************************************
Another update y'all.

Thanks for reading this chapter ❤️