C H A P T E R 1 4

— • —

Chapter 14: The Black Lotus, Part 2

Liu Xiao gradually regained consciousness, feeling a pounding headache and a parched throat. As he gazed up into the night sky, he realized he was in an unfamiliar location.

'Oh my god, what happened to me?! Did I get raped by that Lan Yang?! I can't remember anything! '

Liu Xiao casually felt around his body with both hands and upon realizing everything was normal, he breathed a sigh of relief. He glanced around the quaint wooden cabin he found himself in. A small table stood nearby, its candle casting a warm glow. The ceiling showed signs of age yet held strong, and a gentle breeze wafted in through the open window and doorway. Rising to his feet, Liu Xiao swayed slightly, his limbs feeling oddly numb. He steadied himself against the table, exhaling deeply.

"Senior Brother—"

"GAAAAHHHH!" In a flash, Liu Xiao was atop the table at the sound of a voice. Twisting around, he spotted Wu Qingge at the doorway, holding a freshly cooked sparrow.

"Oh—Ahem!" Clearing his throat, he quickly righted the askew table and candle, feigning nonchalance. "Wu Shidi, where are we?" he inquired, his gaze sweeping over the cozy interior of the wooden house.

(Shidi means Junior Brother in Chinese.)

Wu Qingge gazed at him before placing the freshly cooked sparrow on the small table and stepping closer to Liu Xiao. As Liu Xiao unconsciously retreated, his slender back collided with the wooden wall of the house. Wu Qingge halted a meter away from Liu Xiao; their breaths mingled, and their noses nearly touched. Liu Xiao offered an awkward smile, his gaze filled with confusion as he looked at Wu Qingge.

"You don't seem to recall..." Wu Qingge murmured. Raising his eyebrows, Liu Xiao responded, "Recall? What am I supposed to remember?" His eyes narrowed inquisitively.

Wu Qingge shook his head and stepped back, prompting Liu Xiao to exhale in relief from the discomfort he had felt throughout their interaction. "I rescued you after Lan Yang drugged you and extracted his spiritual qi from your body by absorbing it with my own," Wu Qingge clarified. The confusion on Liu Xiao's face gradually faded.

"I understand. Thank you, Wu Shidi." Liu Xiao expressed his gratitude. Wu Qingge remained standing before him, his gaze as intense as if he intended to act further. Noticing this, Liu Xiao raised his eyebrows in query. "Hmm? Is there something you need?"

Again, Wu Qingge shook his head and seated himself on the bed. "Senior brother, please eat the sparrow. I've seasoned it with salt, and it's freshly prepared." Observing the sparrow, Liu Xiao felt a twinge of pity for its diminutive form but dismissed the sentiment due to hunger. He seated himself at the small table and began to savor the sparrow slowly.

His chewing pace quickened as he relished the cooked meal. "You..." Liu Xiao gestured towards Wu Qingge. "You're an excellent cook. This is delicious!" he complimented. A faint smile appeared on Wu Qingge's face as he responded, "Senior Brother, if you wish, I can prepare meals for you daily."

Suddenly, Liu Xiao began to choke; he coughed vigorously while thumping his chest. Wu Qingge dashed outside to fetch some water and presented it to Liu Xiao, who eagerly accepted it and gulped it down. The obstruction in his throat eased with the water's contact, allowing the food to descend smoothly. After finishing the water, Liu Xiao exhaled a sigh of relief. "Ah—the contest, I've lost, haven't I?" he inquired of Wu Qingge.