C H A P T E R 3 4

- • -

Chapter 34: The Heart of the Nether, Part 1

"Wu Shidi?" called Liu Xiao. Wu Qingge, who was ahead, turned back towards him, eyebrows raised in anticipation of what Liu Xiao would say.

"How did you manage to close the gate to the underworld? Are you some kind of key?" asked Liu Xiao, his head tilted and his expression one of confusion.

"Yes, you could say I'm a kind of key since I'm the only one who can open and close the gates to the underworld at will," replied Wu Qingge.

Liu Xiao gasped. Woah! As expected of the protagonist, who is the disciple of the former Mount Hua Peak and the current demon king! The protagonist, Halo, is really amazing! ヽ('∀`)ノ

"Woah, Wu Shidi, you're amazing! Then why aren't you able to close all the underworld gates?"

"They will close or open under my orders if they come into contact with my blood. Since the underworld gates are all scattered everywhere, or maybe someone had already collected all of them and was hiding them somewhere, I wasn't able to close them all, even inside the underworld." Oh, so in other words, as long as he pours blood into those ancient letter carvings, he will have full control of one underworld gate.

"Then how did you escape the underworld if you couldn't open the gates inside the underworld realm?" Liu Xiao confusingly asked.

"I forced my way out," Wu Qingge simply answered.

Liu Xiao frowned at him. Forcing a gate to open inside the underworld is suicide! What the fuck is Wu Qingge thinking?! It would've been fine if he waited for the underworld gate inside to open by itself or made the demons acknowledge him as the new Demon King and take full control of them! Why would he force it to open?

"Why would you do that?!" Liu Xiao asked angrily at him. Wu Qingge turned his head to look at him, his eyes lingered on the jewel on his forehead before answering, "I...want to see Gege sooner."

Liu Xiao paused, and Wu Qingge did the same. They both stood in silence, exchanging gazes. In that quiet moment, Liu Xiao recalled his actions and words to Wu Qingge before he was about to enter the underworld realm. Tears streamed down his face, oblivious to the cultivators behind them who were watching and listening. He was even aware of their presence. THEY SAW ME BEING KISSED! (;'༎ຶД༎ຶ')

Liu Xiao banged his head against the nearby wall and then cleared his throat. He caught Wu Qingge's frown as he observed his forehead and said, "AHEM!!! Let's go back to Wen Yong. He might've escaped." What the fuck, how can he escape when I put a soul-binding technique on him? Be normal, Liu Xiao!

Wu Qingge sighed and approached him. Liu Xiao immediately began to sweat and instinctively backed away. As he lightly bumped into the sturdy cave wall behind him, he closed his eyes tightly and covered his mouth, anticipating Wu Qingge's approach.

Suddenly, he felt the warm touch of a palm on his forehead. It stung slightly, causing Liu Xiao to flinch, but the pain soon subsided. Opening his eyes, Liu Xiao saw Wu Qingge retracting his hand, which held a faint wisp of black and purple qi, and giving him his usual gentle smile. "Gege, don't hit your head against the wall. It will hurt," Wu Qingge advised.

Liu Xiao uttered a sound of realization and raised his hand to his forehead, which must have swollen from the impact. His fingers brushed sideways to touch the jewel in the center of his forehead; it twinkled softly and emitted a low, tinkling sound. Liu Xiao gave Wu Qingge an awkward smile, and they both exited the pathway.