C H A P T E R 5 6

— • —

Chapter 56: The Empire of Wan Rong, Part 2

In a grand hall adorned entirely in gold, a man clad in a regal ensemble of black and gold robes, accented with the pristine white fur of a snow fox, sat upon a magnificent golden throne. His demeanor exuded poise and dignity as he observed his subordinate approaching, the gesture a display of utmost deference.

"Your Majesty, the Emperor," the subordinate began, bowing deeply before the monarch, "we have identified the presence of the Black Lotus and the Meihua Swan within the confines of the Empire."

Leaning back upon his ornate throne, the emperor regarded his subordinate with a commanding presence, his voice resonating with authority and power. "Ah, intriguing. Extend an invitation to them, and I shall arrange a grand banquet. Additionally, summon forth my loyal associates, those who serve as the loyal hounds at my side in pursuit of power and wealth."

With a respectful bow, the subordinate acknowledged the command. "Yes, Your Majesty." Turning on his heel, he departed from the opulent hall, leaving the emperor to contemplate the unfolding events from his gilded seat of power.

"AGAIN?!" Liu Xiao yelled at the imperial guard standing in front of him, looking anxious as he invited the two of them to the royal banquet.

Liu Xiao snapped at the guard and started to yell non-stop. "HOW ARE WE GOING TO CONTINUE OUR DATE?! YOU RUINED THE MOOD!!! WHY ARE THESE OLD GEEZERS EMPERORS INVITING US TO A BANQUET AGAIN AND AGAIN JUST BECAUSE WE SET FOOT IN THEIR EMPIRE!!!!?"

The guard anxiously replied. "But honorable cultivators, His Majesty will slice our heads if we come back empty-handed! The royal banquet is hosted for you two."

"BULLSHIT!!!" Liu Xiao yelled and grabbed Wu Qingge's hand. "Wu Shidi, let's run!"

The guard chased them from behind, and his other comrades followed. "Honorable cultivators!!!! I beg of you, I still have a family! They won't survive if I end up dead!!!"

Liu Xiao looked back and replied, "JUST QUIT! I DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT!!! I WON'T GO TO THE ROYAL BANQUET! DON'T THREATEN ME WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY'S LIVES!!!"

"Tsk!" Liu Xiao grabbed some small crackers served on the jade plate on the wooden table as he stared at the nobles who were praising the emperor, who was sitting on the golden throne nonstop.

"His Majesty is rich!"

"His majesty is handsome as ever!"

"His Majesty is so kind to invite us!"

"His Majesty is looking younger and younger as the day passes!"

"His Majesty is so talented and powerful!"

"His majesty——"

This banquet is dedicated to us?! That's nonsense! We looked like a shadow here, and no one didn't even know we existed!!! Liu Xiao's gaze drifted over the noble women gathered before them, their attention fixated on Wu Qingge as they whispered and giggled amongst themselves. He couldn't help but roll his eyes, reaching for another small cracker. Yet a sense of insignificance washed over him, like a mere shadow amid grandeur.