C H A P T E R 6 8

— • —

Chapter 68: Reincarnation, Part 1

The gentle chirping of birds enveloped Feng Xi's senses, drawing him from the depths of slumber. The melodic sounds seemed unusually nearby, prompting his long eyelashes to flutter as he struggled to peel open his eyes.

"Chirp, chirp..."

Feng Xi's eyes abruptly widened, and he shoved away the birds that were resting on his body. "Ew! What the fuck! Did my parents really dump me by the river?! I slept in the woods this whole time!"

Feng Xi's gaze wandered around the surroundings, taking in the towering trees that reached toward the sky with their thick, verdant branches. With each gentle breeze, a few leaves danced gracefully to the forest floor, painting the air with a serene rhythm. The nearby bushes swayed in harmony, their soft rustling causing Feng Xi's hair to tickle his face gently.

"Wait—why is my hair so long?!"

This is not what I think it is, right? This is not what I think it is!!! "Okay——haaaa...calm down, calm down, Feng Xi. Don't panic, you'll shit yourself. That's right."

Feng Xi repeatedly inhaled and exhaled and tried to calm himself. A bunch of thoughts was wandering inside his mind that made him confused even more. I died! Why did I suddenly come back here?! I seriously died—I was stabbed many times by the protagonist! ... Could it be because I slept?! Holy sh*t, do I need to stay awake all the time?! That's a big no!

Feng Xi found himself in an unfamiliar body, uncertain of whose life he had transmigrated into. Determined to learn more about his new surroundings, he rose to his feet and set out in search of a nearby river. The forest stretched endlessly before him, hinting at the vastness of the land beyond. Despite the daunting task ahead, Feng Xi refused to yield to despair and pressed on with his quest.

After some time, however, his efforts led him not to a river but to the outskirts of a small town nestled within the forest's embrace. Pausing to catch his breath, Feng Xi crouched down and brushed away the dust that obscured a weathered sign at the town's entrance. With furrowed brows, he squinted to decipher the faded letters etched upon it, eager to glean any information about his current whereabouts.

Yumeng Town.

"Yumeng Town? What is this place? I've never been here before." Feng Xi took a deep breath first before going into the entrance.

As Feng Xi ventured deeper into the town, he couldn't help but notice its seemingly welcoming atmosphere. While this openness offered convenience, sparing him the hassle of tedious inspections and long queues, it also posed a potential threat. Yumeng Town's lax security made it vulnerable to raids and allowed dubious characters to enter unchecked, casting a shadow of uncertainty over its tranquility.

However, Feng Xi knew better than to dwell on matters beyond his control. With no coin to his name and no recollection of his past, he had more pressing concerns to address. Though he was outwardly composed, his mind churned with unease. Yet he understood that succumbing to panic would only hinder his progress. Setting aside his anxieties, Feng Xi forged ahead, determined to navigate this new chapter of his life with resilience and resolve.

"Make way! Make way!"

An extravagant carriage, flanked by eight to ten vigilant guards, thundered down the street. The coachman forcefully cleared the path, commanding pedestrians to yield with firm insistence, "Make way!" Feng Xi diverted to the side road, his gaze fixed upon the opulent carriage. Draped in scarlet, the curtain obscured any view of the occupant within. As he lingered, one of the guards caught sight of him, casting a swift, assessing glance before resuming their determined advance.