C H A P T E R 7 2

— • —

Chapter 72: Deep Inside the Underworld Realm, Part 2

"Brother, the human! The human!!!"

"What about the human?"

"Look! Isn't he beautiful?! He will be nice food for a few weeks!"

"Didn't you see him back then? He was able to defeat Lang Zai in an instant! What if you suddenly die before you eat him?"

"But he's unconscious right now! Aren't we able to eat him right now? Brother, I'm starving."

A soft, rustling sound clung to Liu Xiao's ears and made his fingers flinch. He slowly opened his eyes, and his long eyelashes fluttered gently. "Where am... I?"

"Kiiiieeeeekkkkk! Brother, he's awake!"

"Awake?! What's awake?! Lang Zai?!"

"The human! The human!!!"

"Tsk!" Liu Xiao slowly stood up with a frown. "Why the hell is it noisy?!"

As Liu Xiao's consciousness gradually returned, his gaze fell upon a small cave nestled behind a looming boulder. A flickering bonfire cast a warm glow, its flames dancing in the dimly lit chamber, while a blanket draped over him provided respite from the chill of the underworld. Blinking away the remnants of unconsciousness, he focused on the figures before him.

Two peculiar children stood at a distance, their features strikingly unique. Their skin bore an otherworldly hue of lava red, accented by a single horn protruding from the center of their foreheads. Grass-green eyes glinted with an enigmatic gleam beneath snow-white locks, their small frames swathed in weathered robes.

As Liu Xiao regarded them with a quizzical expression, the children responded with a defensive posture, brandishing a dagger fashioned from a beast's fang. Their wary gazes locked onto him, and a low growl emanated from their lips at his sudden movement, betraying their unease.

They're so cute! Look, they're like a tiny human snake, but a hostile version! Can I adopt them?! I can, right?! Despite his outwardly stoic demeanor, Liu Xiao's mind buzzed with amusement and exhilaration. With deliberate poise, he rose to his feet, casting an impassive gaze upon the trembling demon children before him. As they clung to each other in fear, their makeshift daggers clattered to the ground, forgotten in their terror.

Unaware of the overwhelming effect he had on the youngsters, Liu Xiao pressed forward, his steps unyielding. Oblivious to the fear he instilled, he advanced steadily, heedless of the children's retreating forms. With each stride, their trepidation mounted until they were cornered against the cavern wall, their backs pressed against the unforgiving stone.

As the younger child emitted a timid shriek, clinging desperately to his sibling, Liu Xiao's expression remained unchanged, his focus unwavering. Unbeknownst to him, his presence loomed large in the eyes of the frightened youngsters, casting a shadow of terror upon their trembling forms. "Brother..."

His brother spoke in a small voice with a look of bravery, "It's alright! B-Brother will protect you! We will defeat this beautiful man!"

Abruptly, a warm and slender hand descended upon the heads of the two children, their tousled hair receiving gentle strokes. Startled, the youngsters raised their gazes to meet Liu Xiao's, finding him adorned with a gentle smile as he continued his comforting gesture. Stunned into silence, they stood frozen in place, their mouths agape with astonishment, as Liu Xiao's reassuring presence enveloped them.