C H A P T E R 7 0

— • —

Chapter 70: Reincarnation, Part 3

"So you're saying that this world is inside a novel?" Xin Yue said with a frown as he chewed on his fingers.

"Yeah." Acknowledging Xin Yue with a nod, Liu Xiao reached for the teapot and poured himself a cup of tea. The atmosphere within the eatery had quieted, the din of conversation dwindling to a mere murmur. Meanwhile, Xin Yue remained engrossed in his own thoughts, absently nibbling on his fingers as he regarded Liu Xiao with quizzical, arched brows.

"Are you shitting me right now?" Xin Yue said.

"No, I'm not. I swear! This world is inside the novel that I read! It was titled "The Black Book"! My original body was asleep right now, and when I died three years ago, I woke up back to my world as if everything was just a dream! The plot of the novel also changed because this body lived when it was supposed to die," Liu Xiao implied.

Xin Yue was still arching his brows in bewilderment. He lowered his hand and rested his arms on the table, then spoke.

"Lucky you. I fucking died because of a cat. Now I won't have a body to go back to. I'm stuck in this body now."

Liu Xiao sipped on his tea and replied, "So you're saying that... My original body should be dead first before I'll get stuck in this body?"

Xin Yue immediately replied, "No! What the hell are you saying?! And anyway, I don't know about that novel world thing that you're saying, but it kind of makes sense. This world is also what my grandma always told me as a bedtime story."

Xin Yue also poured himself a cup of tea and continued, "But I'm not sure if this world is only fiction. It feels like a different dimension. It was too complex. But either way, this world is real."

Liu Xiao heaved a weary sigh, his gaze drifting downward, revealing the long, thick lashes framing his eyes. His attention was drawn to a small plate of crackers nearby, and almost absentmindedly, he reached out, plucking one from the plate and beginning to nibble on it.

Across the table, Xin Yue stole a fleeting glance out of the window, where the sky was ablaze with hues of yellow, orange, and red, signaling the approaching sunset. "What's your plan now, Xiao'er?" he inquired softly.

Liu Xiao found himself grappling with the weight of his recent revelations. After awakening in his modern world following his demise, he simply resumed his routine, eating in the kitchen before returning to slumber. Yet, in that brief span of time, three years had stealthily slipped away. Returning to Mount Hua Peak and proclaiming himself as Liu Xiao was no longer a viable option—the cultivation world had been sealed, and the whereabouts of his masters and friends remained shrouded in uncertainty. Revealing himself would only complicate matters further.

"I'm..." Liu Xiao stroked the edge of the teacup and swallowed hard before continuing, "I'm thinking of going to the underworld realm."

Liu Xiao holds the sole knowledge of Wu Qingge's banishment, his true identity as the demon king, and the enigmatic underworld realm he presides over. Driven by an unwavering determination, Liu Xiao would move heaven and earth to reunite with him, even if it meant traversing the depths of the underworld itself.

Regret gnawed at Liu Xiao's heart, a persistent ache born from the realization that he never had the chance to express his feelings or share a tender kiss before Wu Qingge drew his final breath. All he managed to impart were words of solace, a plea for Wu Qingge not to burden himself with blame. But would Wu Qingge heed his counsel? Would he truly refrain from self-condemnation?