12: Intervention

"What the hell do you think you're doing!?"

Tobi clenched his fists as the Jonins came closer. This is it.

Minato glanced at his students and the Genins were already standing up in alarm of the fight. Maybe they were the ones who called for other Jonin help...

That was a very good move, considering Minato and Tobi were already at each other's throats, but Minato didn't find it in himself to praise his students when he was so close to killing this possible Rogue that infiltrated Konoha.

Maybe I should've just told them in the beginning... Minato sighed. There was no use regretting now. He didn't think this through.

The Jonin scolded him and all he could do was take it and look down.

The Genins stayed away from the fuss of the Jonin as ANBU suddenly jumped in and surrounded Tobi.

Tobi only tilted his head, but done nothing else.

Minato's brows raised as he saw the scene.

No... Those aren't ANBU. Those are ROOT, Danzo's operatives, clear from their cloaks alone.

Even though Minato wanted this Rogue caught he still intervened, now ignoring the other Jonin.

Bad things could happen to this Uchiha if Danzo makes him one of ROOT. Knowing Danzo, he would most likely persuade him with things he bluffs about. Minato thought as he went in the ROOT's circle.

The men in animal masks gave him looks that he knew was disapproving. "Look, everyone, I have this under control. You don't need to interfere." Minato started, lifting his hands.

The ROOT members looked at each other, before one shook their head.

"Danzo's orders." one of them said and almost immediately, Tobi was tackled.

The half-masked man fell to the ground with a grunt as the ROOT ninjas kept him down.

Another of them approached Tobi on the ground and crouched, opening their hand as they were about to put a seal on him before someone else suddenly intervened.

"Hold it."

The ROOT halted in their movements as the Hokage himself came closer.

Hiruzen held up a hand, making sure to make the ROOT ninjas stop.

They all turned to look at him as Tobi desperately tried to cover the exposed part of the broken mask.

Tobi wanted to just activate his Sharingan but he couldn't. He wouldn't.

Wouldn't dare give up his identity now.

He still needed to change his future. His past. His life.

He glared darkly at the ROOT, and the Hokage as Minato stood straight at the Hokage's presence.

Of course. Minato-sen-Minato, also wanted to be Hokage. Naruto really is his father's son...

Danzo's operatives still didn't take off their harsh grips currently on him as the Hokage frowned at them.

"Hokage-sama." one bowed from the group. "We are only here to secure the Uchiha rogue for Danzo-sama." they continued as the hand that was only inches away from Tobi's chest started to twitch in anticipation.

Tobi tsked under his breath. If he could he would've already cut through this small force with unsettling ease.

But really, even Fugaku's words caught light in Danzo's field of war-prone mindsets. Being the famous war hawk and all.

The ROOT's masks gave off an eerie feeling, as if they were glaring at the Hokage himself. Hiruzen paid this no mind however. Danzo is wordlessly cruel to swiftly train his ROOT members from childhood. They were more loyal to Danzo than the village itself.

"Do not bother with Danzo. I will handle the rest as your Hokage." Hiruzen firmly stated as the ROOT suddenly seemed ready to attack.

Minato pushed in, "Do you plan to disobey the Hokage himself? If you do, then you should be the one in the rogue's position." the blonde also stated.

A possible Hokage candidate. Tobi thought to himself, all the while watching the scene in front of him unfold.

The ROOT ninjas merely straightened themselves at that as they all finally left, leaving Tobi there to fall further on his back.

He sighed, but not so audibly as Hiruzen and Minato both changed their attention to him.

He lost his glare as he just laid there, processing what just happened.

Without noticing at all, he closed his eyes. Somehow the feeling of the fresh wind hitting the crack that showed his scarred face didn't make him as conscious as he thought.

Now that I think about it... Have I even seen the Hokage monument yet?

No. The answer was no.

Will I? I don't know. I might. If I can. Though I'm sure there are only so much as three faces.

He heard the three Genins run towards them hurriedly, as if they were speechless before.

They started to ask the Hokage and Minato of what just happened, and the adults explained the situation quickly.

Tobi didn't listen in for long.

He didn't know why but he suddenly felt himself drift to sleep.