19: Start Of The Changes

Obito didn't do much yet after the timeline was finally set.

Being that he only needed to make sure both Kakashi and his younger self didn't get hurt he seemed to relax a little.

Although he knew he shouldn't be acting as if it was an easy mission. I know it isn't. He had always been the one to underestimate things. Even Kakashi when they first met, for some reason. And he always lost because of that.

After all, he was sure that Minato had already admitted that he was an outsider and shouldn't be trusted. That only made the Uchiha's goal harder to reach.

But he shouldn't mind. It was normal, after all. Ninjas, when it comes to spying on other villages or if they're just actual rogues, go through those hardships every now and then, or maybe even everyday. Although the question now is if he'd be strong enough to fulfill what he wants.

With that in mind, he jumped tree to tree as soon as he woke up the morning of the day the mission starts.

A war had just ended a few years ago, yet they were still alert up until now. A new war supposedly after the many losses of Ninjas from the Leaf had to have been hard for the Hokage to announce.

He never took these things into consideration back then. He was bold and simply--stupid. If he was himself from the past he never would have admitted it, even in his thoughts.

He put a hand to his mask as he felt it slightly slip from his face due to the high pressured winds and the speed that he was taking.

Tree or roof-jumping was never a chore for him. He had always been a natural. Same as all the other Ninja-based Uchihas.

The mission started in the morning and the group of three Chunins and Jonin should be below one of the trees he was on, fighting some Ninjas from the villages that they were going to sabotage.

Obito stopped and landed firmly on one thick tree branch as soon as he felt those familiar chakra.

He looked down and there, he saw Kakashi trying to defend himself from a Ninja.

Obito saw that the young Jonin still had both eyes. And those black Uchiha-like orbs were glaring fiercely at the opponent.

Obito didn't bother listening in on the other nin's words towards his past teammate. Insults after insults.

The Uchiha currently hiding on the tree clutched a kunai that he took from one of his dimensions.

He lifted the arm that was holding the kunai, ready to strike the other Ninja directly at his chest just before the blade he was holding slashed a perfect line on Kakashi's left eye.

Obito narrowed his eyes in disappointment just before throwing the kunai at the man's neck before he could even deal the last hit of his blade to Kakashi.

Obito quickly jumped away when he heard his younger self calling out to the Hatake.

-----

Kakashi dodged and tried to push away the Ninja but the Ninja persisted.

He thought that this Ninja must be from Kirigakure from the headband alone, one of the villages that were part of their mission to destroy alliances.

He tried to attack back, to finally kill him, but when he kept on failing did he only know that he wasn't yet ready to take on an important role in the village.

But he shook that thought off only to come back to a perfect slash on his left eye.

He jumped back, flinched and dropped his kunai in shock as his back hit the tree trunk that was behind him.

His head hit a part of the tree hard making the back of his head ache all of a sudden but that dull pain didn't compare to the fear that was growing in his chest.

He had never thought he could ever feel fear again after his father killed himself like a coward over a single failure.

The man was smiling insanely, in victory, as he lifted both his hands to land the killing blow of his blade to his head, and Kakashi found himself closing his remaining eye, preparing to finally join his father.

That is, until the blow never came.

After a few seconds, which felt like hours to him, he opened his eye and saw that the man had a kunai deeply lodged into his throat, which was now bleeding profusely.

What?

Kakashi'a eyes widened as soon as he saw the scene just before a familiar voice called out to him. "Kakashi!"

Kakashi turned his head towards the direction of the voice and saw Obito, running towards him with what he can describe as an expression of worry.

What...?

"You came for me?"

He didn't realize it but he suddenly blurted that out. Obito raised a brow. "What? Of course I did!" he looked slightly offended that Kakashi had said that as his face of worry morphed into a frown.

"Why?" Kakashi asked again, voice low but audible.

Obito opened his mouth, as if he was going to say something before he shut it again, his eyes turning into a determined, black void of fire.

"Kakashi... Of course I came for you. Because, you know what?" Obito had a firm look, something that Kakashi was sure he had never seen before.

The Uchiha took the Hatake's silence as a chance to continue. "Ninjas who break the rules are scum, but Ninjas who abandon their comrades are worse than scum."

Kakashi looked stunned as Obito said that, just before the Uchiha shook his head.

"Anyway," he started again after the short silence, "Let's patch up that wound on your eye."

He brought his dark eyes to the long line of the slash on Kakashi's eye.

Kakashi snapped out of it when Obito stated that. He reached a finger to his eye but before he could touch it he quickly refrained upon realising that it might have an infection if he even so much as touch it.

He nodded finally and Obito waved his hand to a direction, signalling for Kakashi to follow him.

Kakashi didn't nod or say anything but he decided to follow the Uchiha anyway. He didn't want to take chances.

The cold facade seemed to have broken and he couldn't put the mask back on, especially after what Obito had just said.

Without realising it upon following Obito, he was suddenly running.

Worse than scum, huh...

His eye suddenly ached from the wound but he ignored it.

I suppose I can admit my father wasn't any kind of scum.

-----

Obito was sighing. It wasn't in his plan to let Kakashi lose an eye still.

But it seems that it was all right. Even if his past self wasn't able to activate the first stage of the Sharingan right then and there like he did in his reality, they still seemed to have gotten along.

Them becoming friends is better, I suppose. And the Sharingan can awaken within my past self naturally.

Obito leaned on a tree as he sat on the said tree's branch.

He sighed, although seemingly content. This went better than I expected after I failed to save his eye.