41: Worth Losing Expectations

"..."

Obito was speechless.

To be fair, he honestly thought it wouldn't happen. His rage, he meant.

It turns out him and Kakashi would always get a Mangekyou Sharingan. Although the difference between now and in his reality is that his past self has a chance of getting blind.

He watched as his past self slaughtered the Mist nins one by one without a care in the world as they were only left screaming in fear and agony.

Rin laid there though; bleeding unaware of the massacre happening just around her.

The mass murder here, again, unlike in his reality, was less brutal, because he didn't have the Hashirama cells. Therefore, he also didn't have Wood Style.

Although despite the differences in power, he... Was still the same. There was no difference.

Not the eye.

His past self's eye shone in the darkness and it was clearer now that he didn't have a Zetsu covering his face and body.

Not the rage.

A loud sound rang out and it was the familiar sound of the Sharingan. And immediately after that was his past self going through all the ninjas with ease.

Not even the Mangekyou Abilities.

He pitied himself, honestly. But felt a tiny bit of pride, as well.

Even if the situation wasn't something to take pride of, he was still pretty surprised that despite not having the Zetsu being the weight to carry him into the fighting, he could still do it all by himself with only one eye.

Love can make you do crazy things, huh, he thought to himself with a barely audible chuckle as the murder ended and his past self was left there, just cradling Rin's body in his arms.

It wasn't a lighthearted moment. No. He was watching everything unfold as he earlier followed him out a few minutes after he left and went into the forest beyond the Leaf's gates.

But the moment of dreadful silence that hung in the air heavily was broken when Kakashi suddenly called out to the Uchiha.

Soon after that his past self snapped out of it and stared up at Kakashi pitifully as the Hatake went and inspected what happened to Rin.

Right after that Obito used his Kamui and transported from that dimension to in front of the three teammates.

"I can help."

He offered to help them and they were all transported in front of the Konoha hospital by his Kamui through another dimension.

When they were inside he patted their heads lastly and left.

I didn't expect that to happen at all.

-----

Another thing he didn't expect to happen.

It's the thing that Fugaku now knows that he and his past self has the same pattern of the Mangekyou. And because the earning of the Mangekyou itself is extremely difficult and most Uchiha don't even know how to get it, it's extremely rare to get the same pattern.

It was a mistake of his; that he used his Mangekyou Sharingan to threaten Fugaku when he knows fairly well how Uchiha memorize things, as he is an Uchiha himself.

It may not be possible to hear from the inside but surprisingly, the Main branch's house had thin walls, and because Ohito was there from when his past self and Kakashi knocked, it would only be natural he was there from the outside of the room they were in and eavesdropped on their conversation.

He might not have seen how it happened, but he knew that Fugaku know suspects something as what was said about the Mangekyou pattern earlier.

It won't be easy to persuade him again if he is suspecting something from him.

But it can't be that he's suspecting my past self of being THE 'Madara Uchiha' that went to his house, right?

...

...does he think I henged as my kid version?

-----

Obito sighed while munching on a dango from the stick. "What do we do now, Kakashi?"

Kakashi rolled his eye at how messily Obito was eating. "Maybe eat cleanly first before I tell you what to do."

"Come on, Bakashi! Cut me some slack,"

"Like I do all the time..."

"Whatever!" he threw the remaining stick in the nearby trash can.

"Done. Now what?" he asked again and this time Kakashi cleared his throat.

"...we just continue on with our daily lives."

Obito frowned. "So you're telling me I rushed to eat the dango just so you can tell me everything will stay the same?"

"I paid for that dango, idiot, and no, we will need to get our ranks back. But it would take time."

The Uchiha, upon hearing about gaining back their ranks, held his head down in remembrance.

"Right... Until we go and get our ranks back we'll live like civilians, huh?"

Kakashi nodded. "Yes." he closed his eye, looked in front of him and let the wind move his hair.

Obito did the same but his eye remained open. "Sucks..."

"But it was worth it." Kakashi piped up again. Obito looked at him. "We got to save Rin. If we weren't there, she could've just bled to death and the war would continue."

Obito smiled when he heard Rin's name. "Right. You're right."

He looked up at the sky. "Thanks to Tobi, too. He was there to transport us to the hospital using his weird spiralling air jutsu."

Kakashi tensed, but found himself relaxing again when Obito smiled in his direction.

"After all, Ranks are temporary," he laughed, "Friendship and genuine companionship is forever."