30: Failed Attempts

Obito decided to sit up, and think about it again.

There was no way he would allow some being to get on his nerves. There was just no way.

Even if his personal goals had been achieved, there was still a war going on, and Rin was still kinda in danger. Although it was Madara who perfected the timing, the war still raged on and he didn't have quite enough power to stop it instead of initiating it himself.

Obito patted his cloak down, cleaning it slightly of the grass and dirt, and jumped up a tree branch.

Hagoromo didn't allow him to continue with his questions, so if he wanted to meet up with his ancestor again, he would have to do it like before.

He put his mask back on.

...

Fall off a tree branch.

Obito purposely let his body go limp on that branch as he fell down like before, without control.

However, instead of things going dark like he thought would happen, he just fell face-first onto the ground.

He still groaned in pain as the mask was sturdier than he thought, and the way all his weight hit the ground, the same could be said to his mask. Despite being plastic it was still durable thus would hurt if he was hit by it if there was someone crazy enough to use it as a weapon.

He took the mask off his face and rolled to the side in pain, his nose giving out signals of bleeding. His back was firmly planted on the ground.

Damn! He thought, clutching his nose with both his hands. Is it even real? Or was it just a dream after all!?

His thoughts had become childish as he thrashed around the grass at first from the pain he felt from a probably broken nose.

The nose bleed died down after a few minutes of his head facing up. But before he stood up, he firdt sat up and brought his hand to the bridge of his nose.

He moved it around and winced while at it and when he finally gathered enough courage, he swiftly flicked his hand and it attached itself back to its original place with a loud, twig-stepping-like 'crack'.

He finally stood up, but not after regulating his breathing after that approach in his previously injured nose.

Dusting his pants, he jumped up a branch again but this time didn't attempt to do anything like before.

It would only injure him more and he would have to go through more trouble finding another mask, which would get destroyed if he tried to do that stupid stunt again.

He continued his trek towards where he came from before killing Madara.

And, of course, that is Konohagakure.

After he ultimately saved his past self with Rin and Kakashi from the fall, surely they would see him as more of an ally now.

...if Minato taught them that, of course.

For his past self, then sure, that's going to be easy. And with how he saved them, Obito himself already knew that his past self would gladly befriend him, despite their opposite sides before.

Now the problem is Rin and Kakashi.

Since Kakashi is obviously unconscious (because of the transplant), then it's most likely to be Rin who would be telling Minato about how he, a rogue, saved them if she didn't trust him after all he's done.

Obito didn't want to admit it because Rin is still the nice, caring and kind Rin but if she doesn't see Obito's deeds as good and is for them, then... Well, she's become stupid.

Either she's just become plain stupid, or doesn't trust him enough to think what he did was good. The latter seems more reasonable. Rin has always been smart.

So if she already told, then they would already be searching for him where she and the other two second-to-last saw him.

Surely they wouldn't know where my dimension brought them. Obito thought, because the last they saw him was in one of his Kamui dimensions.

Finally, Obito reached the same branch he was on while he was spying on his past self and the others' conversation.

He saw both boys asleep on their respective beds, with Kakashi's position modified slightly, as if he was awake just then before collapsing back to bed.

The bandage that was previously wrapped around Kakashi's damaged eye was now gone, with nothing covering it, his dark lashes visible. The long scar line was still there from the enemy's blade, that's something unreversable, but Obito knew well that the Hatake's former eye was now replaced with his from the past.

He sighed, turning his head to look at the sky.

There's only one way to find out if Rin told them.

Obito sunshin'd. He had already  formulated a plan.

-----

Rin stayed in the hospital. She was allowed to stay if she wanted, so she needn't worry about her parents scolding her about going home late.

It was already nighttime, and the hospital was starting to become busier from the return of more injured Jonins at night from their service at war.

Many have been lost, but many strived to be alive as well.

She heard footsteps approaching her direction.