56: Prouder Than Ever

It took another day, somehow, before the trio went back home.

"Obito-sensei!" the suddenly bumbly voice of Yahiko called out as he and the other two entered the house.

Konan and Nagato wanted to be quiet to surprise their sensei but Yahiko dismissed the plan right as they stepped foot inside.

Obito walked to the entrance and was greeted with Yahiko wearing a massive smile on his face.

"Yahiko? What's making you so happy? Did you do something in the village?" Obito was quick to ask everything he needed as he glanced at both Konan and Nagato.

Nagato shrugged as a familiar barking came their way.

"Chibi!" yet again, like years before, the now-big dig ran up to Nagato and jumped on him.

Obito smiled at the scene. Right. Chibi-chan will never change.

Chibi was still alive, somehow, after eight years. Obito didn't know what kind of dog it was so he could just smile and watch as Nagato's dog came to live on with them.

Originally, Chibi died when they were still six or seven, the time when Obito took them in, but it seems that was avoided when Hanzo never came to interrupt their lives.

Nagato continued to pet Chibi as Konan petted it too, with Yahiko still having that wide, almost idiotic smile on his face.

"It's nothing, sensei! I just gained a new goal, that's all," Yahiko was acting like some academy girl crushing over a popular student as he was acting all giddy.

Obito raised a brow and tilted his head. "Okay...?" he didn't push the topic as Yahiko settled down on the couch with his Akatsuki uniform, still black and red but without the clouds. He put his sword behind the couch, leaning it there for only the handle to be seen.

Nagato walked towards the couch, too, as Chibi followed him with its tail wagging. Konan, however, walked away to her room.

After eight years, it was only natural they'd decide to have different rooms, Obito chuckled again. He still remembered all those nights when they all slept in the same room.

Nagato and Yahiko were now seated on the couch with Nagato playing with Chibi and Yahiko just sitting down and taking off his Akatsuki uniform to reveal the usual chainmail-like shirt.

Obito sat down with them as Yahiko was still smiling, although more toned down than before.

"So, how did it go?" The Uchiha asked. "Meet any other Uchihas?"

Yahiko just shook his head. "Nope. But we did meet with the Hokage and his family! A really nice guy," Yahiko smiled brightly again as he looked down, as if reminiscing already.

Nagato started to listen in while Chibi opted to lay in his lap.

Obito's eye widened when Yahiko said that. Hokage... Minato-sensei? Family? Naruto? Kushina?

He forced a smile as his mind went on to ask more unanswered questions. "Really? Your visit must be eventful." Yahiko nodded rapidly, "Yeah! I even bumped into some guy who has the same name as you!" he laughed, his orange hair swaying with his head.

Obito froze, his eye widening once again. My past self? So I was right... the vision I saw...

Yahiko continued to tell them about their day there and Obito listened, but also in his own thoughts.

I was right after all... I saw faint visions of Pain because Yahiko met with my past self...

"...and then this old guy named Jiraiya let us in easily, saying he was the Hokage's former sensei! And that's how we-"

Obito tensed. Yahiko noticed as he paused mid-way into his sentence.

...Toad Sage? Jiraiya from the three legendary Sannin?... Obito licked his dry lips as Yahiko gave him a questioning gaze.

"What's wrong, sensei? Did I say something-"

Yahiko stopped himself again when his sensei suddenly chuckled. The mood started to brighten again as Yahiko gave a confused smile back.

"...so you trusted a stranger? Really?" Yahiko oh'd.

Yahiko started to laugh with him, brightening up the mood even more. "So that was what you meant! Sorry for that, sensei, but ww really needed to go in and Jiraiya seemed nice!" he scratched the back of his head while taking off his Amegakure headband.

Obito smiled at him as he apoligized. So I was right. Jiraiya met them...

He sighed, although internally. If only he knew what happened if I were to let everything happen like in my reality.

He shrugged as Nagato left the couch with Chibi and Yahiko rested his back on the couch.

He closed his eyes. "Really. For some reason... that old guy Jiraiya really made me feel safe,"

That's right. Because he was originally your sensei.

Obito shook those thoughts away as Yahiko smiles with closed eyes. He opened them.

"He was the one who told me to strive to be like you, too, one day." he turned to look at Obito in the eye.

"You've really saved our lives, sensei. We wouldn't know what to do without you barging into our lives." he laughed at that, "I'm glad you're someone I can dream to be in the future."

Obito's eye widened again as Yahiko stood up from the couch and walked away with a wave to Obito.

Someone you can dream to become one day...

Obito felt his eye water slightly, before he rubbed them away with his sleeve.

He smiled to himself. I'm happy someone as good as you can say that to someone who strives to be like you, too.

-----

Kakashi watched as Naruto finally became Hokage.

Truly, becoming Hokage was his goal even as a small child, and now he was finally achieving that life-long dream, no matter how hard it was at first.

He was smiling wide as he peered down at the villagers applausing his becoming of the Hokage.

Eight years... eight full years since that battle with Kaguya and that was all they needed for Kakashi to become Hokage, and give the hat to Naruto for the Uzumaki to become Hokage, too.

Kakashi may not be as expressive as most, but right now, in Naruto's coronation, he can truly say that he could cry.

Obito wanted this for Naruto, and Naruto achieved just that. Obito would be proud, Kakashi knew.

Wherever the Uchiha was watching, he knew he was proud, watching with Rin everything unfold.

Kakashi congratulated Naruto and was finally left to his thoughts.

Obito... I know you're proud, wherever you are watching... I hope you bless us all, too, and especially Naruto himself.

Kakashi smiled underneath his mask.

I know you're prouder than anyone else in the whole after life, Dobe...

-----

Obito felt the need to say 'I'm proud' all of a sudden.

He ignored it, though, and continued to read a book.