46: Endurance Is Key

"When would we start?" Yahiko asked that night when they've finally settled in.

Obito brought them food, full meals, and now they were satisfied.

He wanted to make these children happy. If he were to make a good, better Akatsuki, then the first thing he needed to do was to start healthy relationships.

So far, everything was going smoothly enough.

"...as a Genin, our training started around seven in the morning in one of the training grounds." Obito started, laying down on the soft futon on the floor.

It was the same in his old house with his grandma. He only had a desk, a chair, a lamp, a bulletin board, and the futon. It wasn't unfomfortable at all.

Yahiko, Nagato and Konan decided to sleep on the same futon. And since they were all just small children, they fit perfectly and even left some space for the dog.

"So we also start at seven, then?" Yahiko asked, repeating Obito's first phrases to start his sentence.

The Uchiha hummed. "Yes. If you would be able to wake up early, that is."

Yahiko grumbled. "Of course we can wake up early. We usually steal foods early in the mornings."

"Sure, says the one who woke up at nine earlier."

"Hey! I wasn't-"

"Anyway." at the stern change in Obito's voice, Yahiko became quiet. "Our first training won't be fighting directly. It's going to be more of a test to see how good you really are."

At that, Obito closed his eye. "I'd like you to prepare. And don't eat before it."

Yahiko raised a brow, but nodded in the dark anyway. "Okay..."

-----

"Now, this is only going to be a test." Obito started as he looked down at the three children, with Chibi only in the sidelines wagging his tail at them.

Yahiko had a determined look as Konan and Nagato had looks of curousity and, for Konan especially, preparation.

"Here, are two bells." Obito dangled two bells, as he said, from his hand, making them ring out purposely.

Yahiko, Konan and Nagato seemed to be focusing solely on those bells.

Obito smirked. "I'd like you to catch them." he said as he analyzed each of their expressions.

Konan tilted her head to the side in clear confusion. "But... there are only two bells?" she pointed out.

Obito chuckled. "Yes. Only two of you will pass if you get these bells."

Their eyes widened, though he couldn't quite see Nagato's.

Obito made sure the three were looking as he made the bells stay hanging on his hip.

His gaze went back to the three. "Hey, Nagato, before we start I'd like you to fix your hair in the front and show your eyes." Obito said, motioning his hand in front of his own head.

Nagato seemed nervous as she looked at Konan and Yahiko for help but they just stared at him with smiles.

Nagato nodded, took a deep breath, and parted his hair to the sides.

Once his hair was cleared his Rinnegan went into full view.

The Uchiha didn't sat anything and that seemed to surprise all of them.

"Alright. I'll say when to start." Obito said, breaking the sudden tense atmosphere as he stayed in his place, one eye glinting almost mischievously.

The three snapped out of their stupor as they psiitoned themselves.

"Three...Two...."

Obito counted slowly as he could see Yahiko's small fingers twitch.

"Two and a half..."

He chuckled lowly under his breath when Yahiko partially glared at him at the change in count as he almost charged in.

"Alright. One!"

At that Yahiko ran up to him and immediately tried to swing at his hip, where the bells were.

Obito dodged all of the futile attempts with ease.

He was basically just walking around dodging Yahiko's attempts as Konan and Nagato just watched from behind.

Konan looked as if she was analyzing his dodges and Nagato just seemed to be concentrated at looking for a weak spot.

Obito smirked again as Yahiko was groaning in annoyance of not being able to catch him.

When Yahiko was already panting, Nagato finally charged in and tried to do the same thing Yahiko did, which Obito yet again dodges and just moves aside.

Konan was just left there, standing as Yahiko and Nagato were both down on the grass, tired of trying.

Obito just sighed, and looked at all of them.

"We're barely into this 'training' and you're already tired." the Uchiha mused as Konan went to check on the two in worry.

"O-of course it's going to be tiring, we've never done anything... like this before... with a real ninja," Yahiko tried to explain through breaths. Obito understood enough.

"...fine. The first thing we need to train with is your endurance, before any Chakra or Taijutsu." he said, helping the two boys up.

"Chakra? Taijutsu?" Konan questioned.

Obito nodded. "Yes. I'll- I'll explain once we get there." he patted their heads, "But first, once you've gotten enough rest or maybe tomorrow, I'll let you do some push-ups to start with your endurance training."

-----

Somewhere, deep in the trees and nature, was a black creature moving aimlessly.

"Mother..." It called out helplessly.