48: Fortunate Happenings

Obito's life had been going great lately.

Since he and Kakashi had been de-ranked, they had to go and perform the Clone Jutsu again just to be Genins, and after that, had the chance to compete for the Chunin exams despite the event happening only once a year. They were given a chance by their Minato-sensei, for some reason. Kushina admitted to have convinced him.

And through all that, Rin awoke and cheered for everything.

She admitted to the Hokage that she was not conscious when the 'slaughter of the Mist' happened, but she did tell the details of what happened before.

And, truly, she was also in shock as Minato told her that he de-ranked Obito and Kakashi.

She was placed in a different team after that, but she continued to root for him and Kakashi until eventually, they became Chunin again.

It didn't take long until Obito finally gave in to Tobi and put the given eye into his socket. He was pleasantly surprised when he felt an immense power coming from it.

Kakashi was getting the hang of the Sharingan in his other eye, and even managed to use it in a few missions that he and Obito were assigned to as, again, new Chunins.

Minato was still quite disappointed in them, but it seems he was slowly forgiving them as his eyes gave a softer gaze every now and then. It was always like that with them before anything happened, but they knew he would forgive them eventually, it was just a slow process since he also needed to deal with the stress that came with being Hokage.

Obito had been more comfortable ever since he put Tobi's eye on, as if it was a perfect fit all of a sudden. It was like he got the eye he gave Kakashi back and put it where it was before, in his socket.

He even tried to activate his Mangekyou in that eye and, in his and Kakashi's shock, it worked! It even had the same pattern as his!

At first, everyone he showed it to first was skeptical about where he got the eye, but he had Kakashi to back him up, saying that it was something 'they got from the road suddenly and Obito washed and used it and it turned out to be a Sharingan that fit his socket'.

The worst excuse ever, am I right?

There was no way that what Kakashi said was true, but Minato let it slide from his busy schedule, thinking it was better to let it go than fret over it when he has so much other, more important things to do.

Either way, he promised that he and Kakashi would be teams with Rin again once they become Jonin. What he meant was, until they both become Jonins, because Kakashi was already one when he was de-ranked.

Kakashi was even planning on taking the Jonin exams already. Obito left him to it, thinking that the Hatake knew what he was doing.

He had more than enough time by himself to think of his future plans to becoming Hokage.

-----

Obito's endurance training with the trio was going surprisingly well.

After about a week or so, they started getting the hang of it easier and Obito even introduced them to more forms of exercise to toughen their muscles up and to get them used to hard training as after the endurance training, learning Jutsu and mastering Chakra and Taijutsu fighting styles would be harder by more than two times.

He was starting to pride himself with his training, too. He never had this natural knack to teach, so it was a surprise he was even able to, let alone even agree to it. If it was anyone else, he would've refused and looked away.

After a few more days of the repeating endurance training, Yahiko started to whine again.

"When will we learn to fight, Obito-sensei?" they got used to calling him that, "This endurance training is getting boring!"

Obito shook his head. "Just because it's become boring doesn't mean we're going to move on. Your body won't be able to handle Chakra if you aren't prepared. That's where the endurance training comes to the rescue."

The boy grumbled, like he usually did after whining. "..."

Konan and Nagato just watched again, willing to wait until Obito finally deemed them fit enough for Chakra usage. Obito glanced at them.

It's already been weeks since we started to live together here. It seems that...

Konan, Nagato and Yahiko already seemed to be starting to trust Obito more openly by showing they were willing to follow his training schedules and tests, and even let him correct then when their positions were wrong.

...they're learning to trust me one by one.

Obito nodded at them, and fit an idea as a smile formed on his face. "Alright. Maybe after a week more of the endurance training, I'll show you a trick or two with Chakra."

The three of them looked as if they lit up. "Really!?" Yahiko exclaimed with s tars in his eyes.

Obito chuckled as he patted his head, "Yes," he confirmed.

Yahiko then continued to pump his fists in excitement as Nagato and Konan only looked at each other with equal excitement.

Obito smiled. They've never really seen Chakra being used before, huh...

He shook his head again. "But first, we have to train your body."

They resumed their positions earlier but this time with more determination of the day their sensei would show them how he uses Chakra.

Obuto chuckled under his breath again. Cute excitable children. If I had only been a good influence before they... Nevermind.

He watched them train themselves with new determination.

Obito stared at the three of them with Chibi fondly. Those three really remind me of my team.