34: For Konohagakure

Despite Madara Uchiha's demise, the war did not end, and another mission was deemed to be assigned to Team Seven again.

-----

"WHAT!?"

Kakashi and Obito were told the news that Rin would be having a mission, during a war, without them.

It had only been a month and the Uchiha Clan did not want Obito to participate, because of his only one Sharingan, and the Hatake was still getting used to the extra Chakra use of his new eye.

Rin had been looking down the entire time, unwilling to look the two boys in the eye.

It was Minato who has assigned her to the job this time, and Obito was furious at him.

But, of course, Minato had a decent explanation, saying that Konoha was, quote on quote, 'running out of ninjas'.

-----

"I'm sorry, Obito, but... Even the council said so. And, as the Hokage, I could only fulfill their wishes."

Obito had his arms crossed the entire explanation, angry at his sensei-Hokage.

"But sensei, she doesn't have us, her team! Why would you let her into war without her team...?"

His sensei looked at him sadly.

"...because it's my job, Obito. In the first place, I shouldn't even be here. But... I managed to make it to you and Kakashi, just to inform you of that. We're missing multiple Shinobi, Obito. I could only hope you understand." Minato said, his voice filled with genuine dismay of the idea of letting his student go without her team.

"Then I should go with her, Minato-sensei!"

That's why Obito had the nerve to talk back; because despite being Hokage, a new one, this man is still his sensei.

Of course, because he and Kakashi were excused, Minato had also been more into his paperworks of the war as Hokage instead of training them. And because Rin is a med-nin in training, it was only natural the med-nins in the hospital would take Minato's place as her sensei.

But even then, the Namikaze blonde is still their sensei.

So it made no sense for him to deploy Rin, a Chunin without her team, his student, and a med-nin at that, to war. And, against who? The Mist Village.

At what Obito said, Minato immediately shook his head, "No! No, no, Obito, you don't understand. You've been gravely injured, and Kakashi, too. We can't..."

The blonde gulped, and looked away from the younger Uchiha's eye.

"...we can't lose you. The Village can't lose you, Obito. You too, Kakashi." Minato took his time and glanced at the Hatake as he said his name.

Obito snapped.

"Does that mean Rin's death won't matter to you?"

Minato's eyes momentarily widened at the sudden sharpness of Obito's voice.

The blonde took in a sharp breath, and stared pitifully at Obito, his cerulean eyes in-between sadness and regret at what he was about to say.

"...she matters, Obito. But... Clan members come first." Obito's glare wavered at what he was hearing from his own teacher.

His face darkened considerably as he just witnessed the problem with the Yellow Flash of the Leaf.

That's right... Minato shook his head, and said he had to leave already. Minato-sensei...

The blonde waved at him and Kakashi with a near-casual smile before walking out the door.

Obito didn't react.

Kakashi glanced at him with a frown.

Obito still didn't react.

...is a selfish war monster.

-----

Obito was at a loss of words.

Minato, deploying his own med-nin student, to war? Has Minato gone crazy? I was still in that cave at this time, so it would take many more months until that mission for their team takes place. But this time it would happen sooner...

Obito cringed. She doesn't have her team with her, too... Has Minato-sensei gone mental?

Obito could do many things to make her live. Maybe support her during the mission. But he needed to make sure not to be seen, or just outright admit he was there to help her.

And because she believes he saved her and her team for a good reason, she must not be as hostile towards him as he expected before.

Obito sighed. I guess I can do this. Supporting her won't be too hard with my current skill set.

The Uchiha used his Kamui to leave where he was right now and decided to help the Nohara if anything goes wrong.

-----

Rin was going to leave by tomorrow.

And by that time, she could still tell her teammates her goodbyes.

She won't know if she would live or not by the time she finishes the mission, so she prepares by telling them her apologies and wishes them good health in the future.

Obito was shocked to find out she would be leaving them and going on a mission alone, and Kakashi did not seem to like that idea from his eye twitch alone.

Of course, she is not actually alone. But because her original teammates aren't going to be around, she will feel alone. She knew that well enough to stay quiet.

Her sensei promised he would fill them in about her mission and such once she goes to rest for the next day's travel.

She could only hope her teammates would accept that she... Might not be around to see them anymore.

I'm sorry, you two... She laid down on her bed, ready to wake up early the next day and depart for their mission.

But this is for the village.