42: Finished Task; A Parting Gift

Obito watched his past self and Kakashi yet again while they spoke to one another about their plans to get back their ranks.

He smiled under his mask. I guess it's mission successful.

He chuckled under his breath. Soon enough Rin would be joining them, too. After many more times of me checking up on her, she's deemed to heal quickly.

Suddenly, the two teammates below started laughing to each other as they stood up and walked the small road that was beside some trees.

They continued to speak casually, and had nice words to be exchanged, very much unlike the first time he was brought there.

He watched the two fondly. I guess now the past Team Seven is clear of any harm...

He steeled his gaze. But there's only one thing left to do before I leave Konohagakure for good.

He jumped down the tree he was on and the sound of crunching grass beneath his feet upon landing seemed to be loud enough for the Hatake and Uchiha to get in a fighting position.

But once his past self's eye landed on his mask, his stance disappeared.

"Oh, it's just you." he laughed sheepishly while rubbing his neck.

Kakashi didn't bother changing his position, though, as he still, unsurprisingly, found Tobi an enemy. Ever since he saw that confrontation between his sensei and him, it wasn't hard for him to be convinced there was at least a motive for him saving them and acting as if nothing was wrong. Their sensei wouldn't attack anyone without reason, anyway.

Kakashi was about to take a kunai from a pouch on his leg. Despite no longer having the rank of a ninja, it was still mandatory for someone that was or is a ninja. Even civilians can carry knives, kunais or shurikens if they just so wish and know how to use.

"Wait. I am not here to cause you harm." that line gave Tobi a strong sense of deja vu from the first time they met. He raised his hand like before.

Obito looked at Kakashi from his peripheral vision and the Hatake was already ready to fight.

It seemed Kakashi only allowed Tobi to bring them to the hospital earlier because it was desperation, and they gladly accepted the help just for Rin to make it.

Tobi walked up to them, and without any more second thoughts they were again sucked by his eye.

They could do nothing but watch as they landed in another terrain.

-----

"Hey."

At that call, both Obito and Kakashi looked where it was and who they saw was what made their eyes widen.

It... Was Tobi. Tobi, the rogue, but it seems he didn't have his mask on...

At the right side of his face, was a ragged line of a scar, and it seemed to repeat in a curve all over up to the top of Tobi's right side's forehead.

His hair was as white as snow, and it somehow reminded Kakashi of Obito.

And his eyes... His eyes were both the Sharingan.

"Wh-" Obito gaped. "TOBI!?"

They both did not expect Tobi to look like that.

The man who is, obviously by now, the one who saved them from the rock fall and helped them transport Rin to the hospital, and the man that was called a rogue by the village officials who knew of his existence, was now just here, showing his face to them with spinning Sharingan in his eyes.