44: Easier Than Expected

Obito took off his mask and stared down at the children with his one eye left.

His Sharingan wasn't activated. He knew that the children won't pose much of a threat. They won't pose any threat at all, actually.

It's obvious this is before they met the Legendary Sannin... His thoughts were interrupted with a bark.

"Chibi!" Nagato welcomed the dog who walked past Obito's feet with caution in his arms.

The dog rubbed its head on Nagato's cheek and put its paws on his arms, as if hugging him back.

"Where have you been? We've been looking for you all day!" the red-haired boy scolded the animal but gave it a scratch on the back of its neck after.

After that reunion, they went to face Obito again.

It was clear from their expressions alone that the scars on Obito's face were unsettling for them, and even the dog started to cower behind the red-haired child.

Obito stared down at them, and realized something. Wait...

He stared at them closely, squinting his eye, and a light bulb flicked open in his head at an even closer look at their faces. That's right! Aren't they supposed to be teens by now?

He scratched the back of his head and continued to raise his arms, to clearly indicate he wasn't any harm to them. They still didn't seem to believe him.

Did the Sage of Six Paths mess with the timeline? Why is everything so messed up?

He dropped to one knee, and this time put both his hands behind his head in another attempt to gain their trust, even if it wasn't immediately their fullest.

"Look, me crossing paths with you was an accident," a lie, but I have to go through with it, "And I'm not from here, so I'm kind of lost."

The three looked at each other with questioning looks, until finally, Yahiko stepped in front.

He tried to look tough by puffing his chest.

"What do you want from us, then?" he asked with a small, almost trembling voice.

God, this is why I don't show my face.

He was now almost the same height as the three of them, but he was still taller by a lot as they were just about six to seven-years-old.

That's right... Right now they should already have an Akatsuki group formed and would've already been training with the Toad Sage...

He inwardly shook his head. How am I only realizing all this now?

"Nothing. I don't want anything from you. But..."

"But?"

I suppose this is a win-win chance for me. If I get to lead the future Akatsuki (again, but it will be better), then I would have the privilege to ward off Black Zetsu and kill it once and for all! Then the Kaguya charade wouldn't happen, and I-

"But!?"

Obito's day dream was broken immediately after the child repeated what he said for what seemed to be the second time.

He stared at him for a second after returning to reality and licked his lips, which were dry.

"I would like to guide you."

He said that with a straight face but he knew that the children thought he was joking around.

No one takes my face seriously, huh...