Mission Failed

Third Person POV:

tw: talk of scars

Sparks flew from the door as they drilled through the bolts that held the door tightly shut, enclosing the kids on the inside. Thomas used his foot to slam the door open only to reveal countless kids staring at him with wide, fearful eyes bulging out of their skulls out of fear, wondering who he was. The small rays of the sun that shined into the train cart from the now open door causes the kids to cover their eyes, not used to such bright sunlight after being stuck in the train cart for hours and locked in small bunkers for the last six months, if not more.

Chains dangle from the ceiling of the cart, cuffs attached to them that are wrapped securely around the wrist of its prisoners, holding them into place to certify they will not escape or attempt to escape from the cart during their travels.

Ignoring the squinting eyes that watch him, Thomas glanced at each kid, examining their face. Examining all of their faces, looking for someone in specific, more specific, someone's. His friends; Minho, Finley, Sonya, and Aris. Not even seconds after Thomas had entered the cart, Newt and Harriet enter quickly behind him, glancing around for the same familiar faces that Thomas continued to look for.

That is until he saw the light brunette sitting near the front alongside a blonde.

"Aris," Thomas breathes out. He rushes forward, a smile stretching across his tired face. As he stands in front of them, he notices the black, swollen eye that Aris seems to have been gifted quite recently, and Sonya is pale with dark bags under her eyes from lack of sleep. They both look incredibly tired as does Thomas since he had barely any good sleep over the last six months, looking for his friends non-stop. "Hey, you guys okay?" He asks breathlessly, resting his hand on Aris' shoulder for any way to comfort his frightened and shaking body, to show that he and Sonya are now safe.

"Yeah, we're fine," Sonya nodded. Her eyes stay wide, unable to believe that Thomas was here and that they were safe from W.C.K.D... for now, at least.

"Jesus-" Thomas shook his head at the sight of Aris' black eye before he moves on down the aisle that separates the seats in the cart, continuing to look through the faces that belonged to tired, beaten kids.

Newt smiles down at Aris and Sonya, patting Aris on the shoulder as he walks by. "You okay?" He asks to which they both nod gratefully, knowing they will be asked that question many times in the days to come if not weeks. Newt finds himself letting his gaze pause on Sonya for an extra second, ensuring she is okay before he continues to walk down the aisle, following Thomas closely behind.

"There you are. Oh, God!" Harriet mutters aloud as she takes large steps toward her best friends. Pulling the three of them closer together into a squeezing, tight embrace.

"It's okay. You guys are safe, all right?" Thomas tells some of the kids that he passes. "Just hang on."

"I need the bolt cutters," Harriet orders, hoping to unchain her best friends along with all the other kids.

Frypan's enters the train cart, his heart is beating erratically, unable to wait for the moment when he will get to see Minho and Finley again. He will not admit it, however, he misses Finley's constant comments, sarcasm, jokes, and critiques on his cooking. He misses it all, especially her smile and laughs.

Thomas and Newt examine the kids with each step. "Where are they?" Newt mumbles under his breath. The aisle becomes shorter as they walk further down the train. A head full of wavy blonde hair appears in the far corner. It was short, shorter than Finley's, nonetheless, he quickly made his way forward. Thomas lets out a small chuckle of excitement, a grin quickly appearing at the sight. Newt follows right behind him once he as well sees the wavy blonde hair.