A Flood of Pain

The door clicked open, a guard stood there. "Subject A0," he nodded to me, walking forward before grabbing my arm and pulling me to my feet. I did not even try to fight at this point. He dragged me from the room I had been held in and through the W.C.K.D. headquarters. It has been officially a full week of me being here at the Last City, and I am doing everything I can to get back to Sonya, Minho, and Aris.

He brought me into a room with windows on each wall, a desk in the centre, with two chairs on either end. He sat me down at the furthest end and locked my handcuffs to the table before stepping out, closing the door behind him. Within a few minutes, the door reopened and Teresa walked in, taking a seat in the opposite chair. "Hi, Fin," she spoke softly. "How you feeling?"

"What do you think?" I raised a brow tiredly.

She sighed, "I'm sorry, I don't want to do this-"

"If you didn't want to do this, then you wouldn't have sold us out!" I ground my teeth.

"I-I," she stuttered. 

"What?!" I shouted a little louder than I expected causing the two guards standing outside of the door to look back, making sure I have not killed Teresa yet- which may have been a thought that may have passed my mind. 

"She promised that she wouldn't hurt you or any of the others," Teresa said in a pleading tone, trying to get me to understand. 

"Yeah, well, she lied. She's a liar. I know that better than anyone. She lies and she will keep lying as long as it benefits her," I told her truthfully. 

"Back before the maze, you were one of my only friends. You were like a sister to me. I just want to help people, I just want to find a cure. You were never meant to get hurt, Finley." I could see the tears that welled up in the corner of her eyes. 

I let out a small sigh, closing my eyes for a second, trying to compose myself. I look down at my hands, they are shaking- they have been shaking for the last couple of days, unable to stop. "It's not your fault, Teresa." I look back up to meet her eyes, she seemed relieved but unsure whether to believe me or not, still feeling guilty. "I mean, it sort of is. At least, for Minho being here. But, I don't blame you for what you did to me or what is being done to me." She looked at me confused, unable to make up any words. "I'm Subject A0. Finley Paige. Doctor Ava Paige's daughter. This would have all happened with or without you... This is just how things are supposed to be, I guess."

"It shouldn't have to be like this, though. We should all be able to live a normal life. Where we can all feel safe, and all can be happy-" I put my left hand in the air as far as I can, given they are cuffed to the table. 

"Don't say anything else if this is you being sent in by her to convince me into working with W.C.K.D. for the hundredth time."

"No, no." She shook her head. "No, I came here on my own because..." She shut her eyes just as a tear slips and leaves a wet wake across the skin of her cheek until it falls off the inevitable end of her jaw. 

She is sad?... hurt?... in pain?...

Teresa is crying and I do not know why. However, I can tell that something bad happened. Or is happening?

"Because what?" Her eyes stay shut, inhaling and exhaling. Her lip trembles slightly as she does so. "Teresa? Teresa, look at me," I say a little more sternly, getting a little impatient with her now. She finally looks up at me, another couple of tears falling. "What happened? Tell me."

"They're doing it next week," she finally manages to say.

"Doing what next week?" I ask suspiciously.