She Knows

We ran at a jogging pace, avoiding the countless sirens that drove through the streets and the blinding lights flying above. They were everywhere, they were looking for us. And, it felt like it was inevitable at this point, we were going to get caught, we were not making it out of this place. At least, not alive. 

Another patrol car drove by, causing us to duck behind some planters. I sat beside Newt, he coughed out the second he sat down, trying to catch his breath. I pat him on the back, leaving my hand momentarily as if some sign of reassurance that everything was going to be okay. 

But I knew better. I could see his bloodshot eyes, the veins running up his neck, and the constant coughing. I am not an idiot, however, I hope I am. I hope I am wrong. 

Newt gives me a half-hearted smile before being disrupted by another cough, ending with me rubbing his back once again for comfort. 

"Well, they're definitely pissed," Gally makes comments as we watch the hundredth patrol car drive by, his grip on his gun unfaltering. 

"How far are the tunnels?" I hear Thomas ask. 

"Uh-" Gally takes a small breath of air, trying to catch his breath from all of this running just like the rest of us. "Maybe 12 blocks from here." 

"Oh, for fuck sake." I sigh, leaning my head back. "I must be out of shape or something 'cause I can't run any further. I have no idea how I ran the maze every d-" I am cut off by Newt's cough, well, it is more like a hack. 

Hack... what a weird word. 

Minho gives me a concerned look from where he was sitting on the other side of Newt. The same look everybody had been giving me when we were back at Lawrence's place, planning out how we were getting in the last city... that is when Newt must have told everybody... everybody except me. 

Maybe he did not tell me because there is nothing to tell. Maybe I am making all of this up in my head. He must just be out of breath because of all of this running. Maybe he has asthma. Or maybe he has a cold. 

But... Teresa's words ring through my ears. "Getting that serum won't save Newt. It might buy him some time, but..."  Maybe I am an idiot. 

Fuck. 

No. No. No-

"We'll make it," Gally's voice brings me back from the storm of thoughts in my head. I look over at him, my body relaxing, my heartbeat slowing, my mind easing, and my breathing becoming stable. 

It is going to be okay. We'll make it. He'll make it, I keep telling myself. 

Minho moves to kneeling in front of Newt, looking down at the boy with sorrow-filled eyes. "Newt, how are you feeling?" 

His reply is a groan from Newt before he mutters, "terrible." Newt's hand reaches out to pat Minho on the shoulder. "It's good to see you though." 

Minho looks over to me, sending me a pitied smile before moving over to where Gally and Thomas sat, leaving Newt and I out of the conversation as their voices go to low-hushed words. Newt slowly turns his head to look at me. His lips part as he is about to say something, but he closes them, contemplating. He takes a deep, shaky breath which causes him to cough again. He tries to clear his throat. 

"I should have-have told you this earlier, Fin, and I am so sorry that I didn't but-" Newt begins, but I stop him. 

"It's okay, Newt. I know," is all I say. 

"W-What?" He stutters from shock. 

"I know that-" I sighed, trying to find the right words, unsure of what the right words would even be. I decide to go with; "I know, Newt. I sort of knew this whole time. Even before you told the others, I could tell. I just didn't want to admit it, I didn't want it to be true." 

"You-you could tell?" His brows furrow as he pants between each word. 

"You do remember who my mom is right?" I laugh lightly and Newt does the same, a small smile breaking out on both of our faces. Mine does not stay long tough, it falls and becomes replaced with an expression I can only explain as hurt. "It is your right to have told me when you were ready to, but why didn't you tell me when you told the others?" I questioned. 

"You had just been taken and... tortured by W.C.K.D, your mother for almost six months. You needed to worry about yourself for once. You were still healing, I could tell. I didn't want you to worry about me, I know how you can get." 

"It doesn't matter, Newt. I would be worried either way," I tell him. "Even after W.C.K.D took Minho, Sonya, Aris, and I, I was still worrying about you. And, since we got into the Last City, I have been worrying about each and every one of you. Worrying for all of yours safety, worrying about making sure I get all of us out alive. And, I made a promise to myself that I would sure everyone gets to the Safe Haven. Together."

"Well, I don't want to be the one to break your promise to yourself, but..." Newt's gaze falls to the ground. 

"No, Newt. That promise is still fully intact. And, I will do everything- I mean everything I can to get you on that Berg and get you home." I take his shaky hand into my own shaky hand. 

"Fin-" 

"No, Newt. I mean it. And you know what?" I raise my brows. He grunts. "If you don't get on that Berg, then neither will I. 'Cause we leave no man and no women- or, no lizard behind." A smile cracks on my chapped lips causing a teary-eyed Newt to follow suit. 

"I love you, Fin. You really are my best friend." 

"And, you are mine, Newtie." I smile, placing a peck on his cheek. "Now let's get your lanky ass off the ground and get you over that wall!" I clapped, about to stand up but then I realize Thomas crouched on Newt's other side, where Minho once was. Tears were at the edge of his eyes, he must have heard our conversation. I send him a sad smile, which causes Newt to look over. His eyes brighten when he sees Thomas. "Come on, Thomas. Let's get this boy off the ground." 

"Come on, Newt." Thomas nods, standing up. "We gotta get you up." Newt pushes himself  up before Thomas or I could give him a hand and he staggers forward. 

"Woah, woah," Thomas and I speak in unison, quickly reaching out to grab ahold of our friend. 

"You okay?" I ask once we manage to put each of his arms around our shoulders. 

"Yeah," he grunts. And, once Gally regroups with us, Minho following behind him, we continue our walk through the city, hiding in the shadows which is something I find ironic. Usually we are afraid of the things that lurk in the shadows when in reality you should be afraid of those in the light because they are able enough to keep their monstrous faces hidden under their masks, and they are able enough to keep their monstrous intentions hidden under their masks. But, not for long, because I promised to my much younger self that I would unmask my mother to the world. And, that is just what I will do. I will do it for everyone, for all my friends and strangers she has hurt. 

A/N- 

Sorry for being absent from updating. It seems as though teachers forget that students have lives and jobs and whatnot. I literally have had no spare time with the amount of homework my teachers have given me in the past couple of weeks. 

Anyway, I hope to get another update published tonight. I will try my best! 

Hope you all enjoyed!

Much love, 

- Alex <3