Don't Forget

I watch the sparks of fire ascending into the night sky, before switching my focus to the rock. I must have been staring at the rock long enough because Thomas nudges my knee before asking, "you wanna head over there?"

"Yeah, I think so." I smile softly, and with that, he stands to his feet, holding his hand out for me. I take his hand, and he pulls me up off of the log. We walk toward the rock where countless names have already been carved. My eyes roam over each scratch in the rock, tracing over the letters that make the names of people we have all lost. The others join us, and the knife is soon handed off to Thomas, who takes a long pause before stepping forward, carving in Teresa's name with care.

Fry takes a break from the kitchen to carve Winston's name along with Jeff's and Clint's before Newt takes the time to carve Alby's and Zart's. Minho steps forward, carving some of the runner's names into the hard material. I carefully and hesitantly step forward just before Minho finishes. "You should write his name," I say. Minho looks at me over his shoulder, forehead creased.

"Are you sure?" Tears well in the corner of his eyes. I nod in response, feeling on the verge of tears so I stay away from saying any words. Minho smiles sadly before finishing the name he was working on and moving to a blank spot, beginning to etch the letter 'B'. I feel my breathing increase as I watch the letters 'e' and 'n' follow. Seeing his name there on the rock is like a knife to the heart. 

It is weird to think that when we were in the maze, the carving of our names signified our arrival. That we were now in the Glade, that we were now a part of that family. But, now, carving their names onto this work signifies the loss of them. Their departure from the Glade and from this Earth. 

I reread the carving a couple hundred times before it became too blurry from my tears. 

Winston.

Jeff.

Clint.

Alby.

Zart

Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben. 

I can say his name a thousand times, and I know that it will not bring him back. Nonetheless, I continue. 

Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben.  

Minho steps away from the rock, analyzing his work as well. By the way his eyes fleet back and forth, I can tell he is reading Ben's name just as much as I am. 

Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben. Ben.  

He wraps his arms around me, placing a kiss on the top of my head. "He loved you very much, Finley. They both did, don't forget that." 

I pulled away from the hug, wiping my face with the end of my sleeve before meeting Minho's gaze. His face streaked with tears, "you are a great friend, Minho. Ben was and I am super lucky to have you." He lets out a small sob, trying to cover it with a laugh. He quickly wipes his tears away before passing the knife to me, stepping aside to let me have my turn. 

My eyes scan over the rock, wiping my tears as my vision becomes too blurry once again. I find a spot under Ben's name with just enough room to write Theo's. And, with a shaky breath, I begin. It takes a minute or so, but once I am done, I step back and have a small smile of satisfaction. 

I feel an arm wrap around my waist, pulling me into the warmth and comforting embrace of Gally. His thumb rubs small circles over the small sliver of skin that is shown between where my shirt ends and the waist of my pants begin. I pass the knife to Brenda, who passes it to Jorge, and Sonya, and Aris, and Harriet, and Vince who all add more names to the rock. 

Vince looks over his shoulder at me when he finishes, giving a small smile and nod before passing the knife to Gally who is the next to step forward. I look back to the rock, looking for the name he carved, and it does not take me long to find it.

Mary.

Vince takes a swig from his mug, wincing at the burning taste. Our eyes meet and I give him a smile and a nod back. 

"She'd be proud of you, Vince. For finally making it to the Safe Haven, and for helping so many people." He smiles, his lip quivering slightly, however, he clears his throat and takes another swig of his drink before replying.

"She'd be proud of you too, Fin. For always helping everyone, just like she always did. But, promise me you won't make a habit out of it like she did."  

"I promised myself to no longer make promises I can't keep," I say. Vince laughs in response, shaking his head.

"Stubborn just like her too. Like I said, she'd be very proud." I smile sadly, and in unison, we take a sip of our drinks. 

I see from the corner of my eye that Gally passes the knife to the next person in line, and I look for what name he put on the rock. Once again, it is not hard to find.

Chuck. 

He comes to stand beside me, a tear rolling down the side of his face as he stares at the rock. I instinctively take his hand into mine, giving it a small squeeze. He looks down to meet my gaze and gives me a breathy smile. 

"Come on, let's go to the others," I say, leading him toward where the others have begun to celebrate the lives of everyone who we have lost and the lives of everyone whom has made it this far through the battle.